did you hear that?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkaholic

did you hear that?

Postby turkaholic » January 30th, 2009, 5:19 pm

How many times are you standing next to your hunting partner when a gobbler sounds off and you both point in different directions. It happens a lot to me. It also seems that when you say ''I think I herd a gobble'' you more than likely did. So many good hunts have all started with that. I now will go the extra distance when I even think I herd something. Move in that general direction and strike um up. Its well worth the effort. When I'm hunting together with someone I make it a point to spread out a bit before making a call so you can hear more clearly. Its hard to move when you both hear a gobble in different directions. I also have been fooled by that same scenario and had two birds responding from different areas. Not a bad problem to have.
live to hunt hunt to live

SamuraiTater

RE: did you hear that?

Postby SamuraiTater » January 30th, 2009, 7:03 pm

My ex-father-in-law got fooled by a left front wheel.   .....It was really pretty humorous.  I was creeping slowly down an old logging road when I rolled my window down.  My left front had a very slight squeak to it and and at a slow roll, the soft, rhythmic squeak sounded very similar to yelping in the distance.  "You hear that ?!", he says excitedly.  I stopped quickly and pretended to listen, "Hear what ?"   ......< nothing >   So I start creeping down the road again....   "There!!!  You hear them turkeys ?!!!"

I played that game several more times with him before I came clean and admitted I just needed a lube job.  [:D] [:D] [:D]

deja vu

Postby deja vu » January 31st, 2009, 4:28 am

Thats a funny story ST [:D]

I have had the "hear that" scenario happen mannny times.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 31st, 2009, 5:06 am

About 15 years ago, I started noticing that my hearing had changed.  It was subtle, but every sound I heard was as much as  30 degrees  off from its source.  I  first noticed it turkey hunting.  I still have good hearing, but my left year is a bit attenuated more than the right-- probably a slight case of trucker's ear. Thirty-some years of driving with the window down will do that to you, I guess.

After I recognized the problem, I made sure I was extra careful with my hearing.  I now do things like mow grass with gun muffs.  Most of all, I stopped trusting my ears to tell me exactly where stuff is coming from.

Last season, for the first time, I noticed that my son was able to hear gobbling far off that I can no longer hear. It's normal aging, but it still sucks.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » January 31st, 2009, 8:21 am

I've got to spring for a very good pair of hunting ear muffs soon.  I knew my hearing was really bad before I retired from the navy in 2004, but it has gotten noticably worse since then.  From 150 yards away or more hen yelping sounds like geese honking to me.  I just don't hear that first note.  I've resisted getting hearing aides for fear that I would look and feel old, but enough is enough.  My hearing in everyday situations is pathetically bad to the point where I now know I must put my pride in my back pocket and do what I need to do.

My first assignment in the navy was as an aircraft electrician in an F-14 squadron.  Everyday I worked the roof of an aircraft carrier with all it's noise.  Standing next to the island structure, you're no more than 100 feet from jets as they run up to full power on the catapult.  When Tomcats went full throttle with afterburners wide open, it gave you a tingling sensation through your jaw.  It was your teeth vibrating slightly in the bone from the unbelievable noise volume.  Of course I had mouse ears on, but......  Back then, I thought it was a cool phenomenon.  Oh, the revelations you have when you're older.  [&o]

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 31st, 2009, 1:31 pm

I can hear high frequency noises but not low frequency such as birds walking in the leaves.
I got a walkers game ear with aft which means frequency adjustable and it works but I have a hard time walking around the woods with it, seems like it won't stay in place.
Anyhow it is good if you are sitting but most of the time it stays in my pocket I will forget I have it along.
Also I have trouble with direction to a certain extent especially in hollows where you get echos.
A gobbler must be very close before I can hear him drum, years of working in construction and competition shooting have taken their toll.
TB
GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 31st, 2009, 1:40 pm

i've not been able to hear a spitndrum unless within 30 yards and no wind .
too many rounds through handguns with no protection.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion