bifocal/progressive lenses

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
1Morgan

bifocal/progressive lenses

Postby 1Morgan » May 3rd, 2012, 4:42 pm

My season just closed here in South Carolina. I waited until it was over because I new I needed bifocals. I ended up getting the progressive lenses instead. What will I need to adjust/change/or just do differently if anything?
South Carolina Low Country

Cut N Run

Re: bifocal/progressive lenses

Postby Cut N Run » May 3rd, 2012, 10:44 pm

How your vision changes depends on how much different the new lenses are. Even though I wear glasses most of the time and need them for reading, I never wear mine hunting. I got tired of them fogging, getting a smudge on the lens, or ending up having the frame blocking my view of the sight picture. They work better being stashed in my pocket. For the ranges I turkey hunt, my vision is not that bad. I have progressive trifocals and see the best right down the middle of the lens. You should get used to the difference pretty quickly.

I'd suggest going to the range and practicing with some field loads with your new glasses in many different scenarios to see what works best. Sweat, rain, and humidity affect my glasses the most. Good luck with the new specs.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 4th, 2012, 9:15 am

1Morgan wrote:My season just closed here in South Carolina. I waited until it was over because I n.ew I needed bifocals. I ended up getting the progressive lenses instead. What will I need to adjust/change/or just do differently if anything?

I hope your season was a good one. There is still about a week left in Southern Illinois.

I tried really hard to wear progressive lenses but just could not get the job done with them. I could not get used to having to move my head so much to get things in focus. I'm sure they are much better now than when I tried them, several years ago.

I also identify with the problems with any glasses when turkey hunting. Fogging, smearing, etc. can be a real pain. Unfortunately, these days I need mine to make things sharp and clear, so I don't have much choice.

I think you'll just need some range time to see what adjustments, if any, you'll need to make. I suspect you'll get along just fine.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » May 4th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses. I wouldn't see a turkey at 40 yards w/o them. I wear a leafy hat that has some leaves that hang over the front to kind of hide the glasses. The fogging and smudging is just part of the game for me. Contacts are not an option anymore. Over the last few years my near vision has been going out. I waited as long as I could!! Getting older sucks sometimes!! At least it gives me a reason to shoot my gun some more!!
South Carolina Low Country

retranger

Postby retranger » May 4th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Getting older sucks sometimes!!The alterative isn't very good :!: :!: I have had glasses for the past 50+ years. The past 15 have been bifocals (and many times a pain) and didn't have any trouble getting used to them. Was a firearms instructor and my handgun shooting went to pot with the bifocals. I just got new glasses and had to go back with them and found out I will be getting trifocals in the progressive line. They tell me NO PROBLEM we will see. For a few years I thought having contacts would be nice but soon found out I would rather have the glasses. Didn't realize how much stuff they keep out of your eyes. I had a twig flip a contact out while rabbit hunting one winter. Guess I have had them for so long they are just part of me now. Don't have much trouble with them fogging up. I have a 3/4 face mask with the cloth with wire inside it that goes around the eye area and the part over the nose I fit it tightly to my nose and that prevents the fogging for me.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to Shooting