"my" turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
NEbeardhunter21

"my" turkeys

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » January 21st, 2009, 3:32 pm

I thought i'd get your take on this. I'm getting ready to move out of town to a place on 5 acres and there is a small flock living in the far corner of the property. My question: Do you hunt those birds or save them for observation and call practice? I am also an avid photographer and I'm thinking of using those birds for photos and the above mentioned. Any thoughts?
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

Turkeybuster

RE: "my" turkeys

Postby Turkeybuster » January 21st, 2009, 4:57 pm

HI NEbeardhunter21

Save them they are fun to keep around,I have birds from time to time at the house and I enjoy
watching them.
Last spring we had a big gobbler and three hens put on quite a show for almost 1hr. I had the 40x
spotting scope on him and he was only 50yds. from the slideing glass doors.
I could see his spurs real good and he had about 1 1/4 on one leg and the other was just a little smaller.
In the fall we had 25 in the yard several times.

Turkeybuster

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 22nd, 2009, 2:20 am

Somebody just off the far corner of your 5 acres is gonna hunt those turkeys.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 22nd, 2009, 2:23 am

yep...

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » January 22nd, 2009, 3:29 am

Several years ago I had a flock of 15 jakes show up on my 70 ac. farm in Aug. Needles to say I was excited for the fall opener which is usually the fourth week of Oct. Well as luck would have it I have photos of them the first week of Oct. After that they dissapeared. Have not seen or heard turkeys on the property since. I believe they were there bugging as it is approx.50 ac. fields and 20 woods. Must have found sweeter pastures elsewhere.My point is it may make no difference what you do as the birds may have something else in mind. As for me "A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" should they show back up.
canecreekcalls.com

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 22nd, 2009, 1:07 pm

hey beardhunter,,,,how ya been?
here is my take on the resident birds.  take your son out there and make believe your on a 10000 acre patch. you call in a bird while coaching the young man on things like squinting and sitting still. don't shoot the bird and don't spook the bird ,,,just hold still and let him leave on his own. do that same thing 2, 3 or 4 times over the coarse of a week or weekends.
now put the gun in the sons hand and let him call in a bird and kill it. neither you or your son will ever be the same again.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 22nd, 2009, 2:10 pm

There are a number of questions that come to my mind in that situation, a couple of which have already been asked.  How many birds are there, and are they part of a larger population in the area?  Do you know your neighbors well enough to inquire as to how much hunting takes place in the area?  Will the birds be getting hunted regardless of whether you hunt them or not?   

If there are just a few birds and there are not more scattered throughout the area, then you might want to try to conserve them and try to increase their numbers before you start hunting them.  If they are on the edge of your property, perhaps you might want to try to do some habitat improvements towards the center of your property that would move them away from the edge more,....maybe plant a food plot, or create some roosting habitat.  Maybe a few birds would turn into a lot of birds in a couple of years.

If your new neighbors are not hunters and do not allow hunting on their properties, and maybe even protect the turkeys there, then you might cause yourself more problems than it is worth to try to start hunting them.  As you implied by your comments about photography, there are more ways to enjoy the turkeys than just by hunting them.  Sure, you might kill a bird or two, but you might also move the birds away from your property for good, or make enemies out of your neighbors.  Would you rather kill a couple of turkeys on your place, or would you rather have them around to enjoy and learn from?  

If it was me, all of these factors would come into play in my decision to hunt or not.  I would definitely be looking for some answers to these questions before making any decisions about hunting those turkeys.

Jim

Pressured Gobblers

Postby Pressured Gobblers » January 23rd, 2009, 9:23 pm

That reminds me of my friend who has deer coming out of the woods every evening to his yard to eat the bait he throws out... I asked him if I could hunt them and he said no he likes to watch them... He keeps telling me that he never sees the the bucks anymore... I wonder why[&:]
"public land will make a turkey hunter out of ya"

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 24th, 2009, 2:20 am

See, the turkeys don't know property lines, their education was stymied before it got to there.  However, they do know places and one of the types of places that they really know is where they encountered a perceived danger and if they really start to get a lot of perceiving at a certain location, they will forever avoid that location. 

5 acres ain't much ground.  You can't hold turkeys on 5 acres, not with anything.  You can improve your 5 acres so that they visit that 5 acres frequently.  I believe that you can hunt 5 acres; I mean how big is your butt?  What you cannot do is allow the flock to start associating your butt, however so big or small, with the area encompassed within the 5 acres.  If the flock starts to associate that area with danger, they will be gone, perhaps never to return. 

It is not whether you hunt that 5 acres that matters, it is how, and how often you hunt that 5 acres; that holds true for your 5 acres or 5 acres in a 100,000 acre tract.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

NEbeardhunter21

Postby NEbeardhunter21 » January 28th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Evening boys, I'm back!
       Sorry it's been so long getting back. Been busy with work and a VERY sick wife but thinks are now on the up. Thanks for the input and I've done a little homework in response to some of your suggestions. I inquired about the surrounding land and found that almost all the ajoining land belongs to one person. I stopped and talked to him and found that not only does he NOT hunt, he does not allow hunting on his property. We talked for about 30 min. and struck up what I think will be a good friendship. I also found out that there are actually quite a few turkeys that live in the area and like you said Silvestris, come and go as they please. It looks as though I will be able to observe and study "my" birds without worry of someone else killing them off.    Thanks again!
May your shells be live and your Toms be monsters

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion