Conclusion: Thy Buddy's Scouting

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 2nd, 2012, 1:24 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

When in doubt, you can only trust direct evidence. In this case, that was the gobbling I’d heard from the farm’s southeastern timber.

The next morning, I slipped through a stubble field, crossed a creek and sat by a huge pine in the black pre-dawn hours. The gobbler cranked up early but ignored my calls and flew down into the open. I made a nifty move around a wooded point and used terrain to get within 100 yards of the bird, and then yelped him to the gun barrel within minutes.

Oh, and I also heard two birds gobble in the northwestern corner. I guess my friend had been right after all. With a bird in the back of my truck, I didn’t mind telling him that.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Want more "Decision Time?" Click here!

Return to Decision Time