What will they....

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
shaman

RE: What will they....

Postby shaman » January 27th, 2009, 1:52 am

I've got about 4" here on the north side of Cincy, and the kid is home from school.

Down at the farm (about 10 miles due South of the plume from Moscow), they're currently taking an inch an hour.  I'd love to be down there right now, but if the ice comes and the power goes off at the farm, A) the power doesn't come back on for weeks. B) There's usually a devil of a time getting out for food.

How's you doing?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 27th, 2009, 2:04 am

if you don't mind me askin' , what part of Cincy do you live in ? if you do mind me askin' , just tell me ,, i can take it .
do you ever hunt ohio?

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » January 27th, 2009, 4:31 am

> Laugh all you want, but no less than Ben Rogers Lee used to have a shield for stalking turkeys.  I kid thee not.  I've got the video. <

Crazy. Just because a Calling champ/Legend/Famous/Celebrity hunter did it doesn't mean its kosher. Isn't the object to get the turkeys to come to you?

Funny how all of these threads end up circling back around to what is or isn't acceptable. The Calling Champ/Legend/Famous/Celebrity hunters of today are no exception. Primos developed the B-Mobile. Knight & Hale developed the Pretty Boy. Drury's got the King Strut. And virtually all of them use $400.00 taxidermy mounted hen decoys...while still trying to make most of their sales on peddling calls. Go figure.

It's a huge game of marketing and follow the money these days boys and the old traditions are still losing ground. It's a noble cause, but an uphill battle to be sure.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 27th, 2009, 5:50 am

Well stated Fan Club, as usual.
Sometimes these guys are made "legends" by people who hardly even knew them.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 27th, 2009, 2:37 pm

i read his book when i first started turkey hunting and there was this old boy that never got a turkey ....so ben lee got a tame turkey and he took a bottle of iodine and stained the birds feet and legs and set the turkey in a tree the night before.....in the mourning ben called the bird in and it took some coaching and several shots but the  guy got his first turkey.....guess when it came to mr. lee....he had a  anything goes attitude....i guess you would say he was the clown prince of turkey hunting......wish he was here with us today sure would have liked meeting him[:)]

shaman

Postby shaman » January 28th, 2009, 6:05 am

Yeah, I knew about Ben Lee's  antics.  That's one reason I loved his stuff so much. I guess my humor was just a tad too subtle for y'all.  Sorry. My overall point was that this wasn't such a new idea.

He hunted with a few of the fellows I've hunted with over the years. They all thought he was great guy. I'm sorry I missed meeting him.

Honestly, it's been years since I saw that VHS tape, and it's all packed away.  All I can say for sure is that it was after he lost all the weight.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » January 28th, 2009, 9:32 am

What is the shield, a giant mirror?  You could back up point it towards the sun & blind your turkey, then run out there and bust him in the head with a sitck...saving yourself all kinds of money on a shotgun & shells!

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » January 29th, 2009, 5:58 am

That's the dumbest thing I ever saw [sm=rolleyes.gif]
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

NastyRack

Postby NastyRack » February 6th, 2009, 2:52 am

ImageImage

trkyklr