Wingbpne Call Pics

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

RE: Wingbpne Call Pics

Postby grunt_doc » January 26th, 2009, 5:17 am

ORIGINAL: greyghost

Nice call and great job on the braided lanyard.

Earl

Thanks.  If anyone else would like one, I'm open to trades of any kind.  I just enjoy making them.

ncturkey

Postby ncturkey » January 26th, 2009, 7:40 am

Great looking wingbone. Awesome lanyard. I am getting into braiding of lanyards. Man that is a hard thing to learn. How is you calling on the wingbone caller. I just love the sounds that a wingbone can make. Thanks for sharing, Mike
Mike

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 26th, 2009, 10:32 am

ORIGINAL: trkyklr
oh yeah hey doc, whats a guy gotta do to get a lanyard?

just ask.....[;)]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 26th, 2009, 10:40 am

P.M. comin' at ya

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 26th, 2009, 12:23 pm

somewhere on these many pages of ''TURKEY TALK'' i stated that i made 2 wingbone calls from the bones of a 1 yr old jake. at the time i made them all i knew was from reading that the PREFERRED call was made from hen bones. and since all i had was jake bones i went to work on them. they would probably make some passable gobbler talk with practice of coarse.
the small bones from the tennessee hen are nice . with little effort it will make hen clucks, cutts and yelps ,,,,,and a very fine coyote pup or young female yip howl. i intend to keep at the practice and use on opening day come april 20. seems to go perty good with old school turkey tactics .
thanks agin to KEN and MATT.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 26th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Nice call Mark.  I just picked up some rodwrapping thread to re-do mine.  I am getting better and more consistant calling with mine.  It is like when I was learning diaphram calling with out that anoying gagging.  Keep it up.  Does the lip stop help? -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -< -<
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 27th, 2009, 12:08 am

hey steve,
yes the lip stop helps,,,at least for me,,, when i first made the jake bone calls i didn't have the lip stop and had great difficulty making any sounds with some measure of control. i later added the lip stop to 1 call . the stop is simply a piece of deer antler with an undersize hole drilled in it. i then used needle files to shape the hole to fit the bone. once fitted i glued it on the front only.
the new call has just a mite more length of bone behind the stop which will allow me to make some adjustments. my first adjustment is to use a 3 cornered needle file and cut a tiny groove on the inside edge of the small bone. i'll be doing that today while i'm off work.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 27th, 2009, 2:34 am

a lip stop or block really helps....if your using a fixed block you better make dang sure its where you want it.....i personally like rubber chemistry stops that way i can adjust it in the field when hunting if i have to ...normally i dont but if i have to for some reason i can.....also cork , fauset washers, and shoot shell brass....can be be used....im not a call maker ...but i use section yelpers....mark the antler is a nice touch maybe you can glue a rubber o ring inside so it can be adjusted......good luck with your making and calling ...its a deadly call....thats only used by a handfull of hunters.....[;)]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 27th, 2009, 2:36 am

i've used the faucet washer & it does seem to help,maybe in another 10 years i'll sound like a frickin turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » January 27th, 2009, 3:03 am

so far i haven't seen a reason to adjust the stop position. but i'd like to find a piece of surgical tubing or some type of soft , flexible tubing to slip over the small end. this is only theory, but i think it would simplify the operation and control , but take away from the historical or old school aspect of the call. give me your thoughts.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion