so close...

Gopherlongbeards

so close...

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 26th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Well heading down to SE MN tomorrow, season starts Saturday AM. Can't believe its finally here! looks like my usual luck with the weather will continue, calling for rain/snow mix on Saturday. Sunday and Monday look cooler, but decent otherwise. Fine by me, It wouldn't feel like turkey hunting to me if the weather was actually nice :D Good luck to you other C season hunters (dewey for sure)

dewey

Re: so close...

Postby dewey » April 27th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Well heading down to SE MN tomorrow, season starts Saturday AM. Can't believe its finally here! looks like my usual luck with the weather will continue, calling for rain/snow mix on Saturday. Sunday and Monday look cooler, but decent otherwise. Fine by me, It wouldn't feel like turkey hunting to me if the weather was actually nice :D Good luck to you other C season hunters (dewey for sure)

Good luck to you as well Gopher!!! I am just very happy to hopefully not have the wind we had last year, that sucked. Weather for me looks pretty good with highs in he upper 40's and lows in the mid 30's. We have a really good chance for rain Saturday but no mention of snow. A little rain won't hurt too much other than making me change clothes more often.

Good luck to all other time period C hunters.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2012, 7:51 am

Well, this years MN season was a bust for me. Weather was bad (I can't remember the last time I've been cold and wet for such an extended time). We had 2 hours of sunshine on Saturday morning, and birds gobbled on the roost then. Had 8 or so gobbling around the property, most just outside of it. They hit the ground and all went quiet. We only heard a few other gobbles the entire time, all in areas we couldn't hunt. I don't think we got closer than 400 yds from a bird the entire trip. Probably put on 10-15 miles a day, never heard a peep on any of the public ground we worked. Oh well, will have to get after them next weekend in sconnie! Hope your season was better Dewey!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 1st, 2012, 9:02 am

Keep this old saying in mind-
"the worst day hunting is better than the best day working" ;)
It is all good.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Moore

Postby Moore » May 1st, 2012, 10:17 am

My season starts next tuesday Man I cant wait to get after those longbeards with my hoyt

dewey

Postby dewey » May 1st, 2012, 12:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the luck Gopher but it sounds like you guys really hunted hard so there is no reason to hang your head but I do understand the frustration. I will post the long winded version probably next week after work slows down but the short story for me is that I got a good two year old Saturday afternoon in an area that the farmer said 3 previous hunters had not even seen a turkey. The farmer told me to try and get one at my in laws place since I might not see anything at his place. God I love hearing that there aren't any turkeys out there and then to harvest one myself. In my area the turkeys were really responding to the calls. :D

Moore is that you? I haven't heard from you in a while how are things going? Good luck during your season.

PS. I didn't shoot him from the hot tub so no funny jokes :lol:

Dewey
Attachments
4-28-2012_1 [].JPG
4-28-2012_1 [].JPG (115.47 KiB) Viewed 794 times
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 1st, 2012, 3:17 pm

Way to go Dewey! nice looking bird! You're right Charlie, the worst day hunting....still a good time. I come to find out this morning that the farm my dad had gotten permission for us to hunt (and has been watching 4 strutters at since early March) was recently annexed into the city. Long story short, hunting is now illegal there. So, we're going to have to find someplace else to hunt on real short notice. Going in blind with only 2 days to get the job done, suddenly this weekend trip to sconnie isn't looking so promising anymore.

Moore

Postby Moore » May 1st, 2012, 6:06 pm

yeah Dewy its me. I'm back lol how you been

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2012, 3:11 am

dewey wrote: I come to find out this morning that the farm my dad had gotten permission for us to hunt (and has been watching 4 strutters at since early March) was recently annexed into the city. Long story short, hunting is now illegal there.

Just out of curiosity, if the land is deemed as ag. land can't you still hunt it even if its within city limits? I know everywhere is different and thats why Im asking.
Is it turkey season yet?

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 2nd, 2012, 8:23 am

I'm pretty sure we cannot. Checked with city hall and the sheriff, and they both said no.

Next

Return to Minnesota