cleaning a turkey?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shaman

RE: cleaning a turkey?

Postby shaman » January 26th, 2009, 8:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ED_pjkJPEA

Here's a great online tutorial on how to fix a turkey.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 26th, 2009, 9:23 am

ifen ya kilt one give the meat to somebody that wants it,thats what i do with 99% of the deer i harvest

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » January 26th, 2009, 11:37 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I don't know why everyone seems so appalled by the fact this kid only wants to hunt for a "trophy"...isn't that what all the shows gear towards?

Alot of tv shows and music show people doing drugs to but I ain't smoking crack. If a person just cares about the fan they shouldn't be in the woods.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » January 26th, 2009, 11:45 am

Just saying if you raise a generation of kids to look for the biggest rack, longest beard etc etc they miss the point.
I'm not a trophy hunter,nor do I hunt because I need to put food on the table but I due hunt to enjoy the outdoors, and respect God's great gift he has provided to US humans. So wisturkeyhunter please don't lump me in with that pot of clay
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 26th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Hey Jeff,

First of all, welcome to the forum. It's a great place with lots of good folks who will try to be as helpful to you as possible. There is a lot of experience here.

Wild turkey is excellent table fare. The word "wild" does not apply to the taste. There's no need to get rid of the wild taste because there just isn't any, at least in my experience.

I like white meat, so I'm a breast fan. I usually breast out the turkey and reserve that for pan frying with some real butter and a very light coating of a flour/salt/pepper mixture.

Turkey legs are pretty tough so I like to use them for soup stock. As has been already said, boiling the legs and thighs will tenderize them and allow the meat to fall off the bones.

Saving and preserving the wings, fan and legs/spurs/feet and of course the beard are very easy and help you remember each bird and each hunt. I used to save shotshells that were used and that can also help you preserve the "memory of the the hunt".

Lastly, if you don't choose to keep parts or don't want all/most/any of the meat, I'll bet there is someone close who'd just love to have it. I'd suggest that you check around before your hunt and see if a friend, neighbor or relative would like to have some wild turkey this spring.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy this wonderful sport as much as many of do. Best of luck this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion