Zone 2 public ground

Gopherlongbeards

Zone 2 public ground

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 8th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Well thinking of picking up an extra zone 2 tag and hunting with my brother in law this coming May. He lives near DePere/Greenleaf, so i have been looking in that general area. From what I've been able to find, Brillion/killsnake wildlife areas look like our best bet? It isn't all that far to zone 3, so that could be a possibility as well. It will only be a Saturday/Sunday hunt so not too much time to put into it. It will be his first turkey hunt, so while I'd be all gung ho to get up at 2 AM and drive deep into zone 3, I don't want to make his first experience a PITA, if you know what i mean. While taking a bird or two would be great, I'm more interested in just getting him on some gobbling birds so he catches "the bug" and will scout for next year :D. Can anyone with some experience in this region give me a heads up on what to expect hunting pressure wise? or any better options within a 45 minute drive or so? PM me if you like. If you'd like to do an info swap I do most of my hunting in SE Minnesota and the black hills.

arrowsonly

Re: Zone 2 public ground

Postby arrowsonly » March 9th, 2012, 2:45 pm

ZONE 3 BABY ! More birds and more public lands, I have heard that zone 2 has alot more birds than in the past but, lots of private farm land. We now also have farmers claming crop damage so who knows, I 'll try to help you guys out. It looks like no turkey hunting for this kid again this year, no job means no hunting !
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 9th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Unit 3 has more public land and permits. Don't forget to check out the county forests of which there are many in unit 3. Clark county is my favorite, turkeys, big woods, plus wolves and bears just to keep things interesting. 8-)
Be aware WI big woods birds are more like hunting those Black Hills birds you are familiar with rather than the oak and ag birds of SE MN.

I have hunted the western side of unit 2 in the fall it was nice but fewer turkeys than I am accustom to in other areas.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 10th, 2012, 4:32 pm

Thanks guys,

I will take a look into what is close for unit 3, especially the county forest land. Ideally I could find something close. I want him to have a good first experience, and nothing ruins that like a death march, or my sister in law throwing a fit (she tends to do that) because we're gone the whole weekend.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote: good first experience, and nothing ruins that like a death march, or my sister in law throwing a fit (she tends to do that) because we're gone the whole weekend.

Could you elaborate on "death march" in regards to turkey hunting? I have never heard those 2 terms put together. :?
Bummer on the wife problem, not a marriage counselor so I have no advice to offer there.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 11th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Oh you know, putting on 15-20 miles on foot up and down ridges and through the thick stuff and not hearing any gobbles. I don't mind that, and actually kind of enjoy it, but its not really a good way to get someone new into the game.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 11th, 2012, 9:34 pm

No such thing as ridges here,"farm land, swamp, hardwoods, pines, barb wire, posted, but like charlie stated LOTS of public land close buy.
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Oh you know, putting on 15-20 miles on foot up and down ridges and through the thick stuff and not hearing any gobbles.

Yikes when do you find time to hunt? :lol:

Like arrows says there aren't many ridges maybe an occasional hump. My experience has taught me turkeys do not like thick stuff (sometimes you do have to go through some in order to find the next open area) look for more open managed woodlands in unit 3 there are lots of them, perhaps with little marshy edges where the turkeys are feeding on bugs and new plant shoots. Also many of the good productive turkey areas have good trails cut as fire breaks closed to vehicles but open for walking.
later,
charlie

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 12th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Thanks Charlie. Anyone have any experience with MFL lands? there seems to be some acres of this as well.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 12th, 2012, 6:03 pm

MFL land can be open or closed to public hunting this is decided by the landowner at the time they enter it into the MFL program.
Whether it is good turkey hunting, like any land, is a depends. If the land has been recently cut in the last 5 years usually it is not good turkey hunting as most foresters who mandate the cuts prefer clear cutting. Early clear cut forests are poor turkey habitat. If it is mature forest with scattered openings cut now we're talking good turkey hunting.
Also check to see if there are any farms who have been issued turkey shooting permits in the area you want to hunt. The farmer must allow hunting on their land. They do not have to give you one of their permits, you can use your license there. Since these farms have an "overpopulation" of turkeys hunting is excellent. I hunt a lot of them in the fall.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin