Zone 2 public ground

Treerooster

Re: Zone 2 public ground

Postby Treerooster » March 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm

charlie elk wrote:Also check to see if there are any farms who have been issued turkey shooting permits in the area you want to hunt. The farmer must allow hunting on their land. They do not have to give you one of their permits, you can use your license there. Since these farms have an "overpopulation" of turkeys hunting is excellent. I hunt a lot of them in the fall.

How do you find out which farmers have been issued turkey shooting permits?

You still need to get permission to hunt the don't you?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 13th, 2012, 8:42 am

Farms that have received turkey permits are listed on the WI DNR site under the places to hunt link in their turkey section, as are farms that have applied for depredation due to turkeys. Phone numbers are also listed. By law these farms must allow hunters on their land (2 hunters / 40 acres at any given time) to hunt turkeys. However, you still need to contact the farmer and make sure there is room for you to hunt.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 13th, 2012, 11:05 am

gopherlongbeards is correct about finding these lands, he is really doing his ground work. Smart fellow.

You need to contact the landowner in order to sign their log book. They are required to have a certain quota of hunters during the open season, if not, then no depredation payment.
I treat this landowner like any other who generously grants me permission to hunt. They get all the appreciation, Christmas gift, cards, Mrs elk's homemade bread basket & packages of charlie's venison and turkey sausage.
The lands in the depredation program come and go year to year. Those that leave have good habitat so I like to be around in order to help the turkey population remain controlled. I feel it is my civic duty. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 13th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I've been impressed with how helpful the WI DNR site is and how many opportunities there are to hunt in WI (both public, and access to private land via management programs). Its much more accessable than the MN DNR version. Makes me wonder why I ever left :D

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 15th, 2012, 11:24 am

WDNR did a good job on their website update it is much easier to get around and find the info you need.
If you have not already done so get a list of the Forest Crop Lands. These are a mix of forests and ag fields making for some good turkey hunting. Like MFL some are open for hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 15th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Thanks charlie,

I had looked into FCL lands. Non present in Brown or Calumet CTY unfortunately.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 18th, 2012, 7:17 am

Waushara & Shawano County had 1000's of acres, then Tigerton Lumber Company leased it out for BIG MONEY only to find out they would need to pay back taxes on most if not all these properties. I hunted one outside Manawa for years, but the 90 mile round trip was not worth it. we now have birds 10 minuets from the house...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Previous

Return to Wisconsin