Youth Hunt

wisgobbler

RE: Youth Hunt

Postby wisgobbler » April 15th, 2009, 5:43 pm

That sounds like an awesome time gutpiler. Glad you and your son had a blast. Hopefully he'll get another chance when his season rolls around.
Kyle

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » April 18th, 2009, 9:39 am

my youth hunt was ok all i saw though was one gobbler that I accidentaly bumped off its roost.[&o]
Alex

RNC

Postby RNC » April 19th, 2009, 4:44 am

My dad, brother and I took my nephew on his first turkey hunt on saturday. We had fvie different birds gobbling right away in the morning. We finally got two to the south of us to start comming in when a neighbor started his truck. these two brids went nuts over that truck and gobbled numerous times. After the truck left my brother started ot yelp on a box and barely got a note out when one of the birds cut him off. A second try was the same result with a double gobble. Our best guess is that they were now within two hundred yards. So we got my nephew facing the direction they were comming from and his gun set up so he could get into a shooting position easily. Then we waited and waited and waited. Finally we used some soft purs and scratching but still got no response those birds just left. After some breakfast we headed to another area. we only heard one gobble but did see the bird strutting somewhere around 150-200 yards out and following some hens. We just couldnt get that old boy to change his mind so we went looking somewhere else. That evening back on my dad's property we had a tom come in behind the blind. He never gobbled and we never heard him walking in but suddenly out of no where we heard a spit/drum. My nephew asked what it was and I told him. We heard it one more time and then that bird was gone also. So even though we didnt get a bird my nephew he heard and saw some new things, had a good and and is excited to go go again when our season comes around. 
Of course this is hard. If it was easy everyone would do it. The HARD is what makes it great!

gutpiler

Youth Hunt

Postby gutpiler » April 11th, 2011, 6:58 am

Anybody score on the youth hunt? I had my youngest out Saturday morning and birds were all around us. I heard alot of yelping, and the Toms seemed bunched up. Sunday morning was a torrential downpour so we didn't get out till afternoon and heard occasional Gobbling but much more yelps? my daughter spooked one when she had to go to the bathroom but otherwise we saw nothing just heard long distance gobbling.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 12th, 2011, 3:37 pm

Sat. morning we took a double with the two boys that were with me and Shane. Sat. afternoon I called in a gobbler, but the young lady couldn't get a clean shot at it. Sun. morning we called in 3 gobblers, got busted on the first and the other two wouldn't step out of the brush at 40 yds, she was shootin a 20ga 2-3/4 shells. Both days we heard lots of birds and seen a bunch, but they are just starting to break up into smaller groups.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 13th, 2011, 4:34 am

Sounds like great hunts gutpiler and Scott and the youth had fun for sure which is the point of hunting.[:)]  This was the first year in a long time I had no youth to take out, felt very strange.  But next year my granddaughter will be old enough.[;)]
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 13th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Great way to kick off the season.My daughter is hooked just from the excitement of hearing the gobbling. She set her alarm for 4 on sunday but I told her to go back to sleep because of the storm.Congrats willow sounds like you're on your way to a special season.

Return to Wisconsin