Wasted Hunting Days

charlie elk

Wasted Hunting Days

Postby charlie elk » January 5th, 2010, 5:15 pm

WI gives the turkeys every Monday and Tuesday off.

How do you all  feel about this?

We could have 7 day hunts instead of only 5 day hunts.  Or we could have an extra season to draw for.

Personally I hate being forced to waste perfectly good hunting time; by being timed out by law.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

swpatrkyhunter

RE: Wasted Hunting Days

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 5th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Oh that would SUCK!!  Who's bright idea was it to make a law like that? If it's all that why don't they just shorten the season by a few days?
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 6th, 2010, 10:59 am

Believe it or not a majority of the turkey hunters in this state!

About a year ago at a DNR meeting the DNR rep questioned if this should be changed--
A big majority of hunters in the room voted NO?! The consensus was the turkeys needed time off.

I am hoping someone comes online here to explain - Why the turkeys need 2 days per week off.

Perhaps it is not the turkeys needing the time off; rather the hunters?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm

I can handle the 2 day off turkey break, but when you only get 5 days total for a season then it stinks. I know you can get extra tags, but that's a first come first serve deal so you need to be there that day that they choose for that zone. If you working that day then you have to take off work just to try to get another tage and you might or you might not? They need to just open the season up and let us hunt, people will try to get out when ever they can same as we do in the fall.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 12th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Or when the weather is bad for a couple of your 5 days.[:@]
Agreed Scott, it would be really nice to have an open season like in the fall.  With all the leftover tags the lotto has ourlived its usefullness. 
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 22nd, 2010, 7:53 pm

Yep they could open it from the 3rd week in April to the last week in May, give everybody 2 tags and let us hunt. They would save a lot of wasted money doing it that way and could use the cash they save eleswhere, where it's needed.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 23rd, 2010, 4:18 am

and to think i was complaning about only being able to hunt untill noon[:@] here in n.y. at least we get to hunt form may 1st till the 31st seven days a week[;)] wayne

turkeylimb

Postby turkeylimb » January 23rd, 2010, 12:32 pm

May 1st till 31st 6 days a week hunt until noon in pa can't beat that.

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » February 1st, 2010, 9:50 am

I for one would love to have more time in the woods for the spring hunt..........yet I can't help but wonder if the experience would be somewhat less with other hunters being out and about.Over the years I have very seldomly run into another hunter when I'm in the woods and I believe that it is due to the setup currently in place.One time I ran into a guy sneaking up on my setup with a blue bandana wrapped around his head!!! He said he heard a hen yelping and had to check it out. I don't have land of my own to hunt so I hunt exclusively on public land.....maybe i would have a different mindset if I had my own land.Any way I'm now always on the lookout for other hunters and give them the woods. I read about hunting in other states and it seems as if hunters are competeing for the same birds and stepping on each other.......That we can do without.

Return to Wisconsin