Summer Projects

WillowRidgeCalls

Summer Projects

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 7th, 2014, 10:57 am

We started our summer projects, we are putting in two food plots for turkey and deer. We've sprayed the Big N Tough weed killer down to kill the grasses and small brush in the two areas and let that sit for 3 weeks. Then we will drag and rake those areas to get rid of the dead stuff and get down to the soil. Then we'll put lime down to help the soil PH and let that soak in for a week. Then we can start seeding, we are going to put in, white clover, and cereal rye in the biggest plot and the other will get a mix of clover, brasica, turnips, and cereal rye (winter rye). Those combos come up fast in the spring and give the turkeys quick food from the long winters. The cereal rye comes up as soon as the snow is gone and seeds out in about 2 weeks, as long as you cut it, it will keep reseeding itself. One plot is 60 yards by 35 yards and the smaller plot is 30 yards by 15 yards.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Re: Summer Projects

Postby charlie elk » June 8th, 2014, 1:36 pm

I've seeded about 15 acres in sunflowers and millet. Deer eat both but in the center of all the alfalfa, oats, corn and beans I hope they'll not bother my plots. The last thing needed around here is more deer, even with the winter die-off the deer outnumber all other wildlife. (well seems that way)

My planting method
Run Vic through to make sure there are no nests
cultivate through the standing grass and other wild vegetation.
Broadcast sunflower and millet seeds
cross rake or drag to cover most of the seeds.
sunflowers and millet grow up through all the existing vegetation (there is a lot of seeds on weeds too)

Other areas come August as the burning nettles die back (wildlife feeds on those extensively)
nettle areas are cultivated and planted with Rye.
Rye is green like a golf course and all winter turkeys and yes those dang deer scratch and feed until the snow is too deep. Then they move to the "seed" fields, millet and sunflowers are above the snow. While all ag fields are covered and inaccessible too.

All summer I edit or weed the roost trees. Ironwood, elm and box elder grows up in between the branches of large oak trees. Cutting these out improves roosting areas.

I decided on seeds mainly to help pheasants, quail and dove. Until winter turkeys are not usually too interested in food plots. All kinds of other things are available for them to eat, like insects, acorns, basswood and ash seeds, to name just a few.

Every area, region and zone is different. What else are others doing?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 8th, 2014, 5:52 pm

We also got what was left from the nwft order of trees and shrubs and also 50 white oak and spruce from a friend of Randy's. We put out all of the cranberry bushes around the pines to give them some brush and food. The white oaks we planted along the road going down to the river, the bur oak and spruce we planted on the high land fingers in the marsh to put some cover back where the beaver have chewed off all the big trees. Tom from Tom's Guns gave us 8 woodduck houses for along the river and the two ponds in the marsh. Every little bit helps.
Anyone else doing anything?

Side note, Randy said he never saw a truck parked where your white pines are Charlie, looks like those birds were never touched all spring?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 9th, 2014, 7:36 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Side note, Randy said he never saw a truck parked where your white pines are Charlie, looks like those birds were never touched all spring?

Randy hunted there, right? In any case we'll need to run Vic in there this fall. If you're up for it? :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 9th, 2014, 10:19 am

charlie elk wrote:
WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Side note, Randy said he never saw a truck parked where your white pines are Charlie, looks like those birds were never touched all spring?

Randy hunted there, right? In any case we'll need to run Vic in there this fall. If you're up for it? :D

No he did not hunt it. He hunted the farm, and over there on B, where we grouse hunted. He saw one truck in the area that I hunted by the hayfield one morning, that was it. He drove passed it every day and only saw the one truck, and that was in the 3rd season, so that area didn't get pressured hardy at all. There should be a good flock in that area again this fall with the number of birds we saw last year.

I'm always up for a hunt, anytime, anywhere :P .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin