Spring 2014 leads 2015

charlie elk

Re: Spring 2014 leads 2015

Postby charlie elk » June 5th, 2014, 8:10 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Your supposed to have your bird registered by 5:00 the next day of it being shot? Curious if the WDNR does anything to those hunters that didn't follow the rules?

At this point there is no enforcement action taken for late registration. Nor was there any enforcement action taken during the period of in person registration, hunters frequently showed up with late turkeys. Although if a hunter gets caught with an unregistered bird by a warden a ticket will be issued. The only reason there is a registration requirement is for the harvest count. It does not in anyway prevent poaching. A poacher is a law breaker and if they take a bird out of season or without a permit why would they be concerned about registering it?

Most other states do not have registration requirements for turkeys. They send out hunt report surveys.

Currently in WI the harvest numbers are interesting and good for PR but they are not used to determine future permit numbers. Instead they rely on "vocal hunters" to cut permit numbers at the last minute as they did this spring. Clearly the notion WDNR "manages turkeys" is an illusion, they mostly micro manage the turkey hunters to control the quality of the hunt.

Added since the above was written,
I have received the full load of harvest stats which I'll sort through and post as my time allows. One thing that jumped off the pages at me was over 90% of turkeys were adult gobblers. This is unusually high. More later.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Re: Spring 2014 leads 2015

Postby charlie elk » June 7th, 2014, 10:46 am

Correction to my previous comment. The fall registration numbers would be used to set fall permit levels if the hen harvest were to reach 14% or higher of the total turkey population. At 11% they'd start thinking about cutting permits issued depending on the total estimated population at that time. As we've learned this spring vocal hunters could change all the science...
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin