Spring 2014 leads 2015

charlie elk

Spring 2014 leads 2015

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2014, 4:28 pm

WI did not set a record harvest. WI did come within a few hundred of beating Missouri. Perhaps if WDNR did not overreact cutting OTC permits at the last minute by 25% we would have harvested more turkeys than Missouri. Beating MO doesn't really matter what really mattered were the thousands of hunters denied a chance to hunt during a banner high gobbler year. It was truly a gobbler rich spring right to the end. I did not see a single jake all spring!

Turkeys live about 2 years whether you hunt them or not, they cannot be stockpiled for next year. Sobering news for 2015 all those leftover gobs will most likely not be around for spring 2015. Spring 2013 was a very bad recruitment year. So in my humble opinion -if 2014 recruitment is good and it is looking very good so far then spring 2015 will feature a jake rich year. Adult gobs will be hard to come by. If 2014 recruitment turns bad then 2015 is going to be downright tough hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Spring 2014 leads 2015

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 31st, 2014, 8:20 pm

No Jakes at all Charlie? That's unique, I had Jakes in every area I hunted, but I had a lack of Gobblers, about half of what I normally see in those areas.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 1st, 2014, 9:40 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:No Jakes at all Charlie?

Not a single one. Maybe the tongue teaser only calls in long beard turkeys?
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 1st, 2014, 10:45 am

What concerns me the most is I saw very few hens this year. The four areas I hunted, three in unit 3 and one in unit 2. There weren't many hens that I saw out of the three weeks I hunted. One area had 1 Gobbler, 1 Hen, and 5 Jakes, the other area had, 3 Gobblers, 3 Hens, and 2 Jakes, the last area had, 7 Gobblers, 3 Jakes, and 13 Hens. The unit 2 area had 2 Gobblers, and 4 Jakes, 3 Hens, but I only hunted that area 1-1/2 days. I'm assuming that a lot of the hens were nesting?
One thing I did notice this year is that the Jakes weren't chasing the Gobblers around, like they have been in the past few years. They'd enter a field that had a couple Gobblers in it struttin, and they'd just walk across the field and into the woods. The only Jakes I saw chasing was in unit 2, they were after the bird I shot. The unit 3 Jakes could of cared less if there was a Gobbler in the field or not.
A strange year for sure, with the way the birds were acting.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 1st, 2014, 10:53 am

Interesting.
In all the units I hunted 1,3, & 4 there was no shortage of hens. At times as is so typical the hens got in the way particularly in the last 2 seasons. Most of the hens appeared to be adults very few looked like they may have been last year's hatch. But it is very hard to tell the age of hens in the spring. However, with the lack of jakes it would only make sense there would be a lack of jennies. 2013 spring was very bad for reproduction. (heavy late snows through May and wet, windy and cold days to mid June.)
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 2nd, 2014, 7:56 am

I was only in N Wis for 2 weeks, May 11th to the 25th, but I have turkey hunted Wis for 9 springs now so I have sort of a feel for it.

For some reason I usually don't see many jakes in my area in spring, some years I don't see/hear any. This season I did see 1 in a field with a tom (2 year old by my guess) and 2 hens. I also think I heard a jake try to gobble one morning and he was roosted with two 2 year olds. I know those toms were 2 year olds because I saw both of their spurs real close. :D

I did see a lot of hens though. Saw the actual birds and also tracks. Some hen flocks were without a gobbler as I did not hear any gobbles and saw no gobbler tracks with the hen tracks. I did find one nest on the 23rd and it had 7 eggs in it. I went back on the 25th to take a picture of the hen on the nest but she busted as soon as she saw me. Maybe I shouldn't have done that. :? There were 9 eggs in the nest then.

As far as the hatch and good conditions;

It seems the weather has been favorable (at least where I hunt near Hwy 8) so far. Not hot but not cold either with most lows in the 50's and high's in the 70's. Rain is the main concern now along with possible flooding of nests in low areas. I remember reading Lovett Williams and he said that rain was not that big of a deal to poults. But he was talking about Florida where it is much warmer. I wonder at what temperature is a wet poult in danger? Will a wet poult die at 55 degrees, or 65 degrees? Or does it take colder temps than that. So far I am optimistic about the hatch but I saw a high of 68 in the 7th day of a 7 day forecast. They didn't predict what the low would be yet.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 2nd, 2014, 9:38 am

On these northern birds, the temp effects them more than we think. It's not so much the cold temps as it is the heat. I watched a hen this year that I knew was setting on a nest, and paid close attention to what she was doing during the day. She was off the nest longer on cool morning then she was on a warm morning, normally you would think it would be the other way around. I carry a clip on thermometer on my vest and will adjust my set-ups accordingly. As the temps get to a certain temp, I'll move from the edge of a field back into the woods a little to get out of the heat, that's were the birds prefer to spend most of their time. The rain really doesn't bother birds much, I've seen hens with poults out in a grass field in a light rain and if the rain starts to get more intense she'll cover them with her wings until it lets up, but when it get real warm they move into the wood to get out of the heat fairly quick.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 2nd, 2014, 7:24 pm

41,786 for WI. what was MO's ?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2014, 8:13 am

42,373 Missouri 41,789 Wisconsin
Missouri wins by 584.

http://www.charlieelk.com/2014/will-wis ... y-harvest/

I'm still waiting for the final from WDNR. Apparently registrations are still trickling in?!
Also I've not done the research for all the states but I think WI places second in turkey harvest nationally. As I wrote on blog it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things but it fun and reassuring that WI has clearly become a top wild turkey state.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 5th, 2014, 7:40 am

charlie elk wrote:42,373 Missouri 41,789 Wisconsin
Missouri wins by 584.

http://www.charlieelk.com/2014/will-wis ... y-harvest/

I'm still waiting for the final from WDNR. Apparently registrations are still trickling in?!
Also I've not done the research for all the states but I think WI places second in turkey harvest nationally. As I wrote on blog it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things but it fun and reassuring that WI has clearly become a top wild turkey state.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing, that the registrations keep trickling in. Your supposed to have your bird registered by 5:00 the next day of it being shot? Curious if the WDNR does anything to those hunters that didn't follow the rules? I could understand if a person didn't have access to a computer or cell phone while in turkey camp for that weeks season, but you should still be able to get it registered by the end of that weeks season some how? I guess that's one of the draw backs to not taking a bird to a registration station like we used to have to do. If they don't do anything to a person that don't follow the rules, then what good is that rule? They could just issue a tag for the spring season and let hunters use it any time during the spring season. If the WDNR is still letting registrations come in with out doing anything, then that opens the door wide open to someone filling a season 1 tag in the 4/5th season, "geeze I forgot to register my bird, can I still do it now"???
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Next

Return to Wisconsin