Record Harvest?

charlie elk

Record Harvest?

Postby charlie elk » May 13th, 2014, 6:24 pm

33,173 total turkeys have been registered so far with 2 weeks of hunting to go. Are we going to see a record set this year?

Sure would be nice if that happens after all the worry about the affects our severe winter and the WDNR cutting the number of permits for no good reason.
Proof here turkeys are amazingly resilient birds. I stand in awe of their tenacity and learn more about them each season.
It's all great.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Record Harvest?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 13th, 2014, 7:51 pm

I agree Charlie, its been a phenomenal year in WI. There are more gobbling birds this year than I've seen in the past 3 combined. Driving around on a rainy day or early morning/late afternoon you see birds everywhere. Public land, private land, if it's good habitat it has turkeys in it this year. Still, I keep running into hunters in town or while taking with landowners who are buying into the "it was a hard winter, numbers are down" spin from earlier this year. Although to be honest I don't think these guys are getting out of their comfort zones much. The standard "We've been hunting this cornfield for two weeks and haven't heard any gobbles or seen anything come into our decoys" type stories. Kind of begs the question why they are still hunting that field huh? All I can do is just shake my head.

If the number of hens I have seen are any indication, if we can get some dryer, warmer weather here for the rest of May and June this fall should be excellent.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 13th, 2014, 10:07 pm

It has been a stellar year for sure! The birds have been cooperating better than ever. Hope I didn't just jinx us for the last 2 weeks. I have 2 tags remaining and some great hunts to go. Taking 2 newbies out yet and me and Brian are going on our annual hunt to round out the final period.
Glad them birds are as resilient as they are!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » June 2nd, 2014, 10:55 pm

I fear that you will see a record low harvest next season. It wasn't the 2 and 3 year olds that suffered from winter kill, it was the Jakes and Jennys. I hardly saw either this spring. If we have a good hatch this spring then you may see a decent harvest next spring but it will be mostly juveniles.
2014 MN State & Iowa State Open Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 3rd, 2014, 9:45 am

simpzenith wrote:It wasn't the 2 and 3 year olds that suffered from winter kill, it was the Jakes and Jennys. I hardly saw either this spring.

The recruitment was terrible in spring 2013. We had up to 20 inches of snow in May across much of the western side of WI. The 2013 fall season featured very few birds of the year compared to previous years.
During this spring hunt like you I did not see a jake and agree if the 2014 recruitment is good there will be a lot of jakes come spring 2015. For hunters who have a problem shooting a jake they'll have a tough spring hunt.
later,
charlie

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » June 3rd, 2014, 6:49 pm

I don't have a problem shooting young gobblers so I should be ok. :)

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 4th, 2014, 2:53 pm

A hunter after my own heart. Just in it for the joy of the hunt. :D
Are you hunting this fall?
later,
charlie

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » June 4th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Yes but I have to shoot at least one deer first. My better half says she's tired of eating turkey so I need to fill the freezer with some venison. :)

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 4th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Killing that deer with bow or gun? If bow I know where you get a few. Send me an email elk@charlieelk.com
Then Vic is ready when you are.
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin