A Good Morning

WillowRidgeCalls

A Good Morning

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 17th, 2014, 11:00 am

Bird Down!! Yesterday opening day the high winds put a damper on our hunting, birds gobbled on the roost, but soon shut up as they hit the ground and with the wind blowing like crazy you could hear very well. This morning was different, colder but very light winds. The birds were on fire this morning, gobbling up a storm. We called one in right off the roost, that didn't offer a good shot, because he wouldn't come out of the small pines. We called in another one about 20 min later, but he wouldn't come into the woods from the hay field. The shot would of been about 45 yards, my nephew didn't want to take that long of a shot so we let him walk off. An hour later we struck another bird up from across the field and he came over to see us, as he was getting close, two other gobblers came running up and joined him. They were out about 30 yards, so I started to keeyelp and all three came on the run to our breeder hen decoy, gobbling like crazy at 15 yards. My nephew picked out the bigger of the three and rolled him, the other two jumped on him and started to rip the feathers off him. Randy got some pics on his phone, so as soon as he sends them to me I'll post it up. We also got some great sound files of our Teaser calling and birds cutting us off. I'll be sending them to Charlie so his wife can change them to post them. We were done and back home by 9:00.
Attachments
Jeff's 2014.jpg
Jeff's 2014.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 361 times
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on April 17th, 2014, 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: A Good Morning

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 17th, 2014, 11:18 am

Sounds like a great morning Scott! Congrats to your nephew! Can't wait to see the pictures and sound files. Did you guys get all this snow that we did? areas of the north metro got 18" last night...

dewey

Postby dewey » April 17th, 2014, 12:34 pm

Congratulations to your nephew on the gobbler Scott.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 17th, 2014, 1:06 pm

We only got a little light rain right a daybreak, then about an 40 min. later the wind pick up and blew all day long. The birds started gobbling as soon as the rain quit. That's 9 gobblers to the gun so far this year, hope the season keeps going like it has been :) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 17th, 2014, 2:54 pm

good thing they caved to those "conservation" minded special interest groups and cut the number of leftover tags available. there wouldn't hardly be any birds left :roll:

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 18th, 2014, 7:19 am

Way to go Scott, congratulations to Randy too. You must be giving those gobblers something they want.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 21st, 2014, 1:58 pm

Nephew got another one this morning.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (106.14 KiB) Viewed 293 times
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 22nd, 2014, 9:56 am

What a week! Congrats on 1&2, he is going to think this turkey hunting thing is easy.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

merocustomcalls

Postby merocustomcalls » May 2nd, 2014, 4:32 pm

Nice bird Scott!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 2nd, 2014, 9:36 pm

Scott, I'm glad to see that you and Randy are having a good start to the season. I hope ya can fill every tag that you have.

Return to Wisconsin