Did a little scouting

WillowRidgeCalls

Did a little scouting

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 7th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Had a chance this morning to get out and do a little scouting for our Youth/LTH hunt this weekend. Birds were gobbling up a storm on my area, they haven't broke up yet, there is a flock of about 70 using the farm I'm on. The farmer didn't get all his corn picked, so there is about half a field full of standing corn, that the birds are using. I'll have my blind set up along the edge of that standing corn, and hopefully those birds won't break away from that area to much. Should be a good weekend,
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Did a little scouting

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 7th, 2014, 7:40 pm

sounds like good news Scott, I'm going to get out early tomorrow and listen at a few public spots just to see what numbers look like in my area. Looking forward to hearing my first gobbles of the spring tomorrow. 5 days to go till I start my season in SD!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 7th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Good luck in SD, Gopher. They say the snow is melting slowly there and the land is looking really good, the rivers and creeks aren't flooding with the slow melt, so it should be good for you. At least you won't be buried in mud.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 16th, 2014, 3:45 pm

The Youth/LTH weekend was good. Sat was the better day weather wise, Sun morning was good, then started raining about noon and continued till late Sun evening. The birds still weren't busted up very much, if you had birds on your farm you did ok, if not it was a difficult hunt. My farm had the Jakes on it, didn't see a gobbler or a hen all weekend. I called 4 Jakes in that busted us before my two hunters could get a shot at them. Randy's farm had all the hens and gobblers on it, that's where the corn was and the farmer had spread fresh cow manure on his cut corn field. Randy called in 5 different gobblers for his hunters. They missed four of them before noon at ranges from 18-27 yards. One of his hunters finally connected with gobbler at 5:30, a nice 24# with 9-3/4" beard and 1" spurs. Sun morning we didn't have a hunter, but about noon one called us and asked if he could still hunt, so out we went and only got about an hour into the hunt before the sky opened up and we got rained out. Not sure of how many birds were taken as of yet, but I know that Sat we had 10 as of noon, with only one Jake taken?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin