WI Gobbles

charlie elk

WI Gobbles

Postby charlie elk » March 31st, 2014, 11:06 am

Over the weekend I traveled around unit 4, focusing mainly in northern half 4. There was a good amount of gobbling answering my calls all day. Lots of tracks in the snow. Vic and I did not find a large amount of winter kill. At one coffee shop a farmer claimed his farm experienced a "Huge Kill" and he offered to show me. Well there was evidence of a few dead turkeys possibly 4. He had some pictures but they were all of the same turkeys we studied taken back when a few parts of the turkeys were exposed through the ice. This farmer now thinks he was wrong about a "huge winter kill". That could be because gobbles regularly answered my trumpet yelps and kees. Clearly he had a solid number of gobblers on his farm.
A couple of the neighboring farms also thought they had serious die off of turkeys. Vic found no dead turkeys on those farms only very lively ones. We left having made new friends and invites to come back anytime.

I am publicly going to admit I was wrong to worry about turkeys dying off. Like a lot of turkey hunters I feared the worse due to the lack of winter sightings more than anything else. Now I'm starting to ponder the concept that turkeys actually "migrate" out of an area in search of food and shelter when the winter is severe. After all unlike deer they have wings and sharp eyesight so why would they sit around and die?

I posted more migration thoughts on my blog http://www.charlieelk.com along with my spring turkey prediction. Sticking my neck out on this one. ;)

What are others hearing and seeing out there now that the snow is finally receding.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: WI Gobbles

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 31st, 2014, 2:42 pm

I was out making the landowner rounds two weeks ago Charlie, and I saw plenty of birds out and about. I'm not concerned about the winterkill at all. I don't have a WI tag until May 7 this year, but will be starting the season in SD 12 days from now. Like clockwork they're getting a blizzard in the hills today, as they usually do whenever I plan an early season trip :D

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » March 31st, 2014, 9:59 pm

Birds are looking great over here! Lots of gobbling off the roost and even some after they hit the ground. Seeing a lot of birds in the fields and lots of strutters this past weekend. Our snow is pretty much gone for the most part. Small areas left. Can't wait to hit the woods this weekend with the newbies for the LTH. Got some good properties loaded with birds!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » April 1st, 2014, 9:01 am

Thanks for the update Charlie, sounds like good news.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Return to Wisconsin