LTH Retention

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: LTH Retention

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 27th, 2014, 10:56 am

I assume you've spoken with John about it, there used to be another guy from WI on here that ran turkey dogs also, I believe he was from up near Stevens Point or somewhere up there if I remember right?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 27th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Yep, Jon is on the other side of the state so he won't be here in the West.
Turkey dogging is either cutting edge or a fringe activity. According to WDNR survey data there are only 200 turkey hunters who use dogs and most of those are pheasant or other upland hunters who are presented with a flushing turkey. Only a small handful have trained a dog to target turkeys in the classic break and callback.
I'm still analyzing all the safety and logistics of a fall hunt. Ultimately I may just stick to taking one newbie at a time out and if they have a dog help get it going on turkeys.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » March 27th, 2014, 6:11 pm

charlie elk wrote:Everyone I've talked to about setting this up is very excited. The farmers are happy to have someone shooting the "field carp"; their words not mine. I am sad they feel that way about turkeys, maybe this will help change their minds a bit.

Charlie, look at the bright side of it. If they like turkeys as much as we do then you might not have a place to hunt.

charlie elk wrote:We're working on a fall event, since the season opens Sept 13 we are not sure if hunting earlier is of any great benefit.

From my experience on taking kids hunting, I think you would have a slightly better benefit. The benefit being that the kid or adult will be able to take either sex. Also since the season starts in September the birds are not as flocked up as bad compared to later in the season. The problem with some newbies its more about the kill than the hunt. Since you are able to take both sexes that should increase your chances of satisfying their "need" and hopefully they will stick with it long enough to enjoy the hunt and the woods.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin