change in leftover permits

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: change in leftover permits

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 15th, 2014, 3:08 am

BINGO!! your dead on the point with that statement Gopher ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

putt

Postby putt » March 16th, 2014, 8:03 am

This morning's Sunday Milwaukee Journal sports section has an editorial on this decision, titled "Let science be your guide". Not a flattering article for the WDNR. It basically echos the comments posted so far on this thread.

And it did get the permit reduction numbers right.

Here's the article:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors ... 79631.html

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 16th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:How can we expect hunters to buy into science based wildlife management when the scientists themselves won't to go to bat for their actions when the biology is as cut and dry as in this case? That is why this situation really irks me. A couple thousands permits are no big deal in the long run, but actions like this undermine the creditability of natural resources management in general.

This is exactly the principal of the thing that ticks me off. I can't let it go because it is the crux of the issue, the whole point of wildlife management science. If this principal unravels it will adversely affect all of hunting thereby doing great harm to the resources protected and expanded by generations of hunters.
Nearly 5,000 permits taken away translates into a lot hunters losing their chance to hunt perhaps just quitting turkey hunting altogether. Long term this is very significant. If there are no or very few turkey hunters wild turkeys will lose value and like many species without a constituency pass into the sunset.
Many members on this forum work very hard introducing new hunters via the learning to hunt programs. Will these new hunters now question the legitimacy and wisdom of killing a turkey? When they return to school flush with excitement of the hunt will their school mates ridicule them?

In Paul Smith's Journal sentinel article Putt linked to the NR Region Program Manager Mike Zekmeister quote
Mike Zekmeister wrote:"It might not make biological sense, but I think it makes common sense,"

Mr. Zekmeister needs to hear from some hunters who understand science as it is "common sense" here's his email mike.zeckmeister@wisconsin.gov Apparently he is persuaded by "vocal hunters".
Another thing I can't help wondering is if these vocal hunter friends of Mr. Zekmeister are going to turkey hunt this spring? They should be the first ones to give up their early season permits.
Last edited by charlie elk on March 16th, 2014, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 16th, 2014, 4:00 pm

gopher, I forgot to mention something else-
WDNR is hiring wildlife biologists. You my friend need to apply and move back to your native land. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin