WDNR Land Sales

charlie elk

WDNR Land Sales

Postby charlie elk » February 18th, 2014, 8:01 pm

A couple of years ago a law passed requiring WDNR to sell some state lands. This of course caused many rumors and consternation in some quarters. I just posted a news story with all the details on the lands and the process/procedure for these sales.
http://www.charlieelk.com/2014/wisconsin-dnr-land-sale/

I am unfamiliar with Most of the lands on this list. The ones I know about are land locked with NO public access. Land that was "gifted" by the owners for a tax write off. But they refused to allow public access across their remaining land. The end result is they took some marginal land off the property tax roles and still have private use of that land. Some gift uh?

I am curious if any one here is familiar with any lands and what the deal is with them.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Treerooster

Re: WDNR Land Sales

Postby Treerooster » February 19th, 2014, 9:24 am

Didn't see any parcels I am familiar with. I did click on a couple in Vilas county that had "To Be Determined" status. They had a road on one side and public land on other borders. Not isolated at all.

This criteria category is the one I worry about.

•recommended for sale as a result of a master planning process or other department action

Just what exactly does that mean?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Re: WDNR Land Sales

Postby charlie elk » February 19th, 2014, 10:37 am

Treerooster wrote:This criteria category is the one I worry about.
•recommended for sale as a result of a master planning process or other department action
Just what exactly does that mean?

I'm not sure. Some of the thinking I have deciphered; There are parcels that are too small, off by themselves and there is no money or management personal to provide management of the land. In WI a master plan sets out the goals of state property and then is actively managed to achieve those goals. Heavy on the hunting side of things. If the WDNR cannot manage the land it could be "sold" to another government entity, like county, city or a land trust.
There have been many changes within WDNR to regain its focus on active wildlife management. Over the last decade this agency has drifted away from what many hunters think should be their reason for being.
Funds from any land sold is suppose to be used to purchase more suitable lands. Obviously, we hunters need to pay very close attention to this issue.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin