Down 30%

charlie elk

Down 30%

Postby charlie elk » January 13th, 2014, 10:16 am

I posted a table at http://www.charlieelk.com/2014/2013-wis ... -kill/2013 containing the preliminary turkey numbers.
2013 total 4,633, this is about 30% fewer than the fall of 2012 - 6,933

The spring was down about the same percent. We all blamed the weather. But this fall was mostly good weather. Hope there is not a problem in the turkey woods. A couple of turkeys I shot had tumor like growths in their crops and were under weight. Never had seen growths like that in turkeys, wish my camera had been with. I always remove the crops in the field to prevent gamey flavor in the breast meat.
The turkey population has been very high here and nature has a way of pushing large populations down. Thoughts?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Down 30%

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 14th, 2014, 10:30 am

I saw plenty of turkeys around this fall, and as usual no other turkey hunters. This seems a little strange considering how many more fall tags were sold this year. I can only guess a lot more bow hunters picked up a turkey tag to use while sitting on their tree stands this year? There was so much food available this fall that birds were pretty quiet and difficult to pattern until November, and most bow hunters had quit my then.

Return to Wisconsin