25 Below Turkeys

charlie elk

25 Below Turkeys

Postby charlie elk » December 31st, 2013, 9:59 am

The truck's thermometer said 25 below I as stepped out into yesterday's unit 3 sunrise. The frigid air started crystalizing around my face instantly and the snow screeched with each step of my snowshoes. All I could think is how dangerous a turkey addiction can be. But waiting for a warmer day is not an option with the season closing in only 2 days.
Last night a farmer had called inquiring why I had not been out to his farm. Last time on this farm there were no turkeys. As of a couple of days ago he said there had been a turkey invasion. OK time to squeeze in a unit 3 trip.
Oh man there were turkeys roosted nearly everywhere along the field edges and they could all easily see me coming so all the noise of my approach did not matter. I set up along a woody point that had frozen wild grapes, dogwood berries and elderberries. After a long 20 minute wait I belted out the first series of assembly kee's to the still roosted turkeys. A bunch of turkeys sailed off roost to me- a gobbler rolled dead at the shot. A lot of things don't work in this kind of cold and that included my camera. The turkey was frozen by the time I returned to the truck for the drive home. This was my coldest turkey hunt ever.
It warmed up to 5 below that afternoon so I went out locally in unit 4. There were turkey tracks all over the valley so I figured they had moved up the hill towards the west fields. The snow squeaks loudly at -5 too. Just before I crested the top that feeling hit me,
the turkeys must be just up a bit out of sight. So I set up and kee'd on Willowridge special kee kee pot. Barely had time to set it down before 9 turkeys heads were staring at me. A jake and a jenny made a nice pair. Had I gotten a hen with the morning's gob it would have been a turkey full house.
cold turkeys 12302013.jpg
cold turkeys 12302013.jpg (21.96 KiB) Viewed 483 times

The temp is suppose to be zero today, when it reaches its high I'll be out to say good bye to season 2013. Maybe there will be a New Year's Eve turkey - maybe not... That is not always the point, reflection on a past season is good for the soul even as the post season melancholy sets in.
Happy New Year Turkeys Seasons to All!
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ads1

Re: 25 Below Turkeys

Postby ads1 » December 31st, 2013, 12:16 pm

Charlie,

You are a dedicated outdoorsman to brave those kind of temperatures. Congratulations on your great season and Happy New Year! :D

Terry

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 31st, 2013, 1:40 pm

Charlie, I tip my hat to you sir. If I got up and it was -25° I would roll over and stayed warm.

Congrats on having a successful fall/winter season. I hope you get another tag or two filled today. Have a safe and happy new year.
Is it turkey season yet?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm

Congrats on a great 2013 season, charlie. Sounds like a few birds took a dirt nap this fall ;) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 1st, 2014, 4:17 pm

The season went fast as usual Charlie, as usual you put a hurting on the birds. You're the only other one I know nuts enough to be out chasing turkeys this late season. Man was it a cold year all around this year, it was -16 yesterday for my last hunt but we had a gobbler group gobbling like it was May. Had them so worked up they were shock gobbling at crows :D can't wait for April!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 2nd, 2014, 9:45 am

Maybe we should form a Turkey Hunting Nut Club? Or a Zero Hero Turkey Club, entry allowed to those who hunt at 0 or colder.
But take heart gopher, we are not as crazy as those polar plungers- see the videos and pics here http://www.wisconsinoutdoorfun.com/ Only in WI or MN will you see girls in bikinis on snow covered beaches diving into ice chunky water. :roll:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » January 2nd, 2014, 3:36 pm

charlie elk wrote: Only in WI or MN will you see girls in bikinis on snow covered beaches diving into ice chunky water. :roll:

Or, apparently, Ice fishing :D

https://www.facebook.com/bikiniicefishing

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 2nd, 2014, 6:16 pm

I never had the craving to go ice fishing but now I do. :lol: :lol:

As far as jumping into ice cold water in sub degree water......They are nuts. NO how NO way would I do that.
Is it turkey season yet?

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » January 3rd, 2014, 5:00 pm

Congrats, Charlie. Nice hunt and bird!

Return to Wisconsin