Sneaky Rooster

WillowRidgeCalls

Sneaky Rooster

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 27th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Was out to the island this afternoon to see if any birds had been around lately? I set up over looking the grass field at the edge of the woods, the grass around the edge was about 2' high and gave me great cover. I had a jake decoy out in the grass and was sitting against a larger oak tree with my rap around blind rapped around in front of me. Had my lunch bucket settin there and my gun barrel was resting on that and the stock on my leg, so my hands were free to call with. I could glass the grass field and the plowed field on the private side. I had been sitting there just enjoying the sun and doing a little calling every now and then and watching some ducks flying up n down the river. I had just finished a call series and was listening for a responce, all I heard was grass rusting, and then again more rusting. I peeked out beside the tree to see if a bird was sneaking in, didn't see anything? I ran a couple of soft kee kees and watched, still nothing. Waited a bit and ran a few more kee kees a bit louder, still nothing. Just then a red head pops up, no wait it's green and red and about 8 yards behind me, I freeze and watched him slowly walking towards me. I slowly tilt my head down and sit rock solid as he getting close enough to see from out under the brim on my hat, and he's still walking at me. I squinted my eyes as closed as I could so he didn't see my eye movement. He is now at the side of the tree and looking into my blind at my gun barrel at about 10" from my left hand. If he'd of ducked under my gun I'd of grabbed his tail feathers and held on tight. He starts to move forward, but stops and looks up at me right beside me and keeps looking at me. I was grinning and opened my eyes and winked at him, he spins and runs about 10 yards and stops and starts to cackle at me, he had no clue what I was. He starts to circle around in front of me cackling every other step he took until he was infront of the blind. Then he starts to walk back at the blind and kept coming closer to it until all I could see of him was his movement between the holes in the blind material. I clapped my hands and off he flew. If I could of caught him, I'd of tied a trail marker ribbon to his leg and let him go :) . I didn't see or hear any turkeys, but it made for a fun day afield. Now if I could get a turkey to do that it would really be a fun day. Hey charlie these tongue teasers also call pheasants, just keekee cackle at them and they'll cackle back :lol: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Re: Sneaky Rooster

Postby dewey » November 6th, 2013, 2:28 pm

You might be into a new way to hunt pheasants Scott. Why flush them when you can just call them in?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 8th, 2013, 12:52 pm

I had a doe fawn walk right under my stand. At the time I chewed Redman and let fly a load. It landed on her back where she couldn't get to it. I almost swallowed my chew laughing at her. It isn't always about killing when you go hunting.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

dewey

Postby dewey » November 14th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Steve_In wrote:I had a doe fawn walk right under my stand. At the time I chewed Redman and let fly a load. It landed on her back where she couldn't get to it. I almost swallowed my chew laughing at her. It isn't always about killing when you go hunting.

Now that was funny!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin