Zone 2 birds

Wackostu

Zone 2 birds

Postby Wackostu » October 7th, 2013, 8:17 am

Hi all. Long time no see.

I am now over 3 weeks from knee surgery and see the doc tomorrow for my final release (Hopefully).

How have the birds been in Zone 2? I am hoping to get out for some gobbler and pheasant in the next couple weeks. This will be my first fall hunt and was wondering how it differed from Spring?

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Zone 2 birds

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » October 7th, 2013, 10:17 am

Glad you up and moving around Stu, good to hear your knee is better. Fall hunting is quite different that spring hunting. First you target the birds your after with your calling, use gobbler talk for gobblers and hen/poult talk for hens and poults. Your calling consists of more aggressive calls, the dominance factor plays a huge part in fall hunting. Birds don't useally travel very far in the fall to come to calling, like they do in the spring. Busting a flock is the better way to hunt them, if you can bust them off a roost all the better. When birds are busted you need to learn what calls they use to regather, and don't be affraid of calling to much, birds in the fall talk twice as much as they do in the spring. Scouting is one of your most effective tools to use for fall hunting, knowing where the food sources are that the birds are using and where they like to travel plays a big part of getting your fall bird.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin