Shocking Fall Permits 55,711

charlie elk

Shocking Fall Permits 55,711

Postby charlie elk » August 19th, 2013, 2:06 pm

I just received a table of the fall turkey results. T&TH will not let me insert a PDF so it is up on http://www.charlieelk.com
There are no leftover tags in units 2, 5,6,or 7 and 130 resident landowners in those units did not get drawn.
55,711 permits were awarded a huge increase over 2012. WOW! :o WDNR is shocked too.
The leftover permits are listed here http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/fallturkey.html
All of the numbers there are wrong as in low and will be updated soon. The PDF has the correct numbers.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Re: Shocking Fall Permits 55,711

Postby kygobbler » August 19th, 2013, 4:38 pm

charlie elk wrote:130 resident landowners in those units did not get drawn.

I believe if I was a landowner and they told me I couldn't kill one off my property, I would not be a happy camper.

I believe you boys have bragged too much on the turkey hunting up there and everybody is wanting to try it out. :lol: Looks like the woods are going to busy with hunters.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 19th, 2013, 5:41 pm

I wonder how much this crappy spring has to do with it? A lot of guys didn't bag a bird so they're looking to do so this fall with the amount of birds that's still left? I know a few guys that didn't even bother to go out this spring because they drew early season permits.

Ouch.......I didn't even draw one for unit 2 this year :o , first time I didn't draw a fall tag :shock: Guess I'll be trying for unit 3 OTC tags.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 19th, 2013, 8:20 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:Ouch.......I didn't even draw one for unit 2 this year

Don't panic yet. WDNR does not have the successful hunters posted yet. They told me tomorrow or Wednesday.

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:I wonder how much this crappy spring has to do with it?

I'm wondering the same thing. That's a heck of an increase in hunter interest in only a year.

kygobbler wrote:I believe if I was a landowner and they told me I couldn't kill one off my property

There is special drawing for landowners with a limited number of permits only for landowners. If a landowner is unsuccessful in the special drawing they are put in the regular, kind of like a second chance. But as a landowner if I wasn't drawn I would not be a happy fellow. Heck who would be?

kygobbler wrote:I believe you boys have bragged too much on the turkey hunting up there and everybody is wanting to try it out.

Hmm, I've written a lot about fall hunting on my blog and those posts get 6-7,000 reads per month. Maybe I need to take them down... Or maybe I should not have talked and showed Vic off at the Turkey Expo...
Oh well I talk the DNR into issue more permits next year.
In the big scheme of things we need more participation in the fall to secure our sport. It's a catch 22 though.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 19th, 2013, 11:36 pm

charlie elk wrote:

Don't panic yet. WDNR does not have the successful hunters posted yet. They told me tomorrow or Wednesday.

I checked my draw online, it said NOPE. I guess I get a bonus point for next year. Still can't believe that unit 2 drew out, last year there was almost 8,000 OTC tags still left.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 20th, 2013, 7:26 am

Yeah it is hard to believe that there were 20,000 more applicants than a year ago. makes me wonder if there wasn't some kind of glitch in the system.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » August 20th, 2013, 7:32 am

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:
charlie elk wrote:

I checked my draw online, it said NOPE. I guess I get a bonus point for next year. Still can't believe that unit 2 drew out, last year there was almost 8,000 OTC tags still left.

I wouldn't worry yet Scott, the online license center says I wasn't awarded a permit for unit 4, and there are 7k+ extras remaining. I don't think they have correct results posted yet.

ads1

Postby ads1 » August 20th, 2013, 8:52 am

When I called WI DNR yesterday they said they did not have the final tally set up yet and that it would be a couple of days. It really sounds like a computer glitch to me. This is interesting and if true would signal an upswing in fall turkey hunting.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 20th, 2013, 10:26 am

I was talking with our chapters president and both him and his wife or any of the 6 guys that hunt with them drew a tag. They drew the tags but haven't posted the successful hunters just yet. We are waiting so patiently for fall seasons that we are getting a head of ourselves. Sorry guys I guess I'm going aginst the no. 1 rule in turkey hunting, *Patience* :lol: . Good Luck to everybody on getting your tag.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 20th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Perhaps the delay is due to more permits being generated to take care of everyone who applied. Let's all hope so.
A few years ago WDNR did that for spring hunters who were over drawn. I've not heard this is happening but that seed was planted, let's hope it grows.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin