2013 RECAP

joeturkey

2013 RECAP

Postby joeturkey » May 18th, 2013, 8:53 am

Sorry guys, I haven't been able to log on for over a year or so? But I have been following Wisconsin's posts at least for sure. Kind of a crazy year, with weather conditions, excess jakes, hunting public land, etc. etc. I have new found respect for the guys that harvest birds regularly on public land,"wow"! Week 2 hunted daughter in zone 1 private land for only a day and half ,cold snowy blizzard conditions,very little gobbling,no luck. Week 3 same place balmy weather scored a double with my hunting buddy. Two young toms, full fans, no spurs, 21lb. and 16 lb. The 16 lb. bird being the lightest full fanned turkey we have ever taken! Birds were gobbling everyware and population seemed higher than the last five years or so.Hunted zone 2 public land weeks 5&6. Got tight on roosted toms twice on 2 seperate occasions within 75 yards,everything was perfect. Both times birds were completely fired up only to fly down and leave in the opposite direction away from my calling? I'm not that bad really!! I was really happy to get close to these birds the first time hunting the property not knowing where I was going in the dark. Last day I could hunt in week 6 I managed to shoot a jake at 0645 just before the rain came, very happy to get him as I love the taste of wild turkey!! Sorry for the long post and congatulations to all the sucessful hunters out there, and also to those who just had fun chasing americas greatest game bird!
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

dewey

Re: 2013 RECAP

Postby dewey » May 20th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Congratulations on the double with your buddy as well as the jake.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin