Good Weekend

ticklishtompro

Good Weekend

Postby ticklishtompro » May 12th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Despite the weather's attempt at wrecking the hunts this weekend it was a good one.

Saturday at 4 am I met up with Brian Lovett for a hunt. I took him to a spot where I hunted the weekend before with no luck. We had heard a lot of gobbling there and had some hens come in, but didn't get a gobbler to come, they went off with the hens. So Brian and I get in there in the dark and get to the spot I wanted to set up at. We were in the woods on the top of the hill at the back of the property. I knew the birds usually roosted within 100 yards from there on the neighbor's property. As I took 2 steps off the 4 wheeler trail a bird, which we believe was a gobbler, busted off the roost and flew off into the darkness. We decided get the decoy down and sit down. Within about 15 minutes the birds began to gobble, the first to sound off was close, and I mean close. It was the kind of gobble that cuts right through you and gets your blood pumping. Several other birds sounded off, all within 100 yards. The birds were hot. Minimal calling to the birds on the roost, but they knew we were there and would cut off the calls and double and triple gobble. The bird closest to us was so hot that as a goose flew by honking, he gobbled a minimum of 10 times in a row. These were definitely the hottest birds I have hunted all season.
Now I hate to leave you all hanging, but you will have to read Brian's blog this week to see how it all ended. Definitely a memorable hunt. He said he would try to post it Monday, so you will all have to wait and see.
Sunday morning I took out a friend of mine and his co worker. Katlin is a newbie to turkey hunting and had been struggling, so my friend asked me if I could help him out. We went to the same property Brian and I had hunted the previous morning, but the wind was howling and I knew it probably would be a tough hunt. We got set up in the same general area, but stayed back a little to prevent bumping anything. As it got light out the woods was quiet. Finally I gave some tree calls and nothing. The second time one sounded off with a teenager like squeaky, worst sounding gobble ever heard. Well, the second one he let out on my next call was better, but you could tell it was a jake. I could see Katlin getting excited now. He responded to every call, and soon we had 2 jakes and 3 hens less than 30 yards out in front of us. It took about 15 minutes before he was able to get the gun up and finally put a load of #4's on his face, but an awesome hunt. Got it all on video to, except for a little zoom mishap right at the shot.

It is always great to see a newbie get their first bird, makes you stop sometimes and rethink things. When I heard the jake gobbling I was thinking, where are the gobblers. But to him, it was a great experience, any gobble and any bird was a huge deal. We get hung up on killing a gobbler, and forget about the whole experience. I taught him some things this morning, but he made me step back and enjoy it even more. He was so excited and proud of that jake,it was a true trophy, and I was proud to help him harvest it. One of the best birds this season!
Here is the link to the video, enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQk9YV4FBXU
Attachments
945585_10200292768065316_218046981_n.jpg
945585_10200292768065316_218046981_n.jpg (216.7 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Good Weekend

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 12th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend Randy, wish I could of been out there. Good to hear you and Brian had some luck, can't wait to read his Blog.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 13th, 2013, 11:53 am

The blog is posted I highly recommend it. It will put a smile on your face.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 13th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Pm me with your bid for the video. Auction is on now!
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

dewey

Postby dewey » May 13th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Congratulations on getting the young man his first turkey.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 13th, 2013, 12:58 pm

It's always rewarding to get a turkey, especially the first, congratulations. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 13th, 2013, 11:32 pm

Finally got the video to upload. Sure you can't see his face, but I assure you the shooter is Brian. He may deny it but I am sure eventually he might admit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGwV1f ... tube_gdata
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 14th, 2013, 11:21 am

Great video Randy, lots of good gobbling in there. You can even see the bird fly down, right at 2:43 on the vid. Those geese sure had that bird fired up. :mrgreen:
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 14th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Hey, I thought we had a deal! (I mean, if I remember anything about that morning ... ) ;)

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 15th, 2013, 10:01 am

Sounds like a great weekend Randy. Don't feel to bad Brian, not much you can do when when the birds start recruiting trees as secret service agents to take a bullet for them ;)

Return to Wisconsin