Tough Hunting

charlie elk

Tough Hunting

Postby charlie elk » April 22nd, 2013, 8:41 am

According to Paul Smith's Journal Sentinel blog post first season harvest is down 38% this year only 7092 turkeys registered for season A.

Is it lack of turkeys?
or
Hunters choosing not to hunt?
or
Turkeys not cooperating?

Congratulations to those hunters who have stuck with and endured a very tough spring/winter hunt. It is the adventure and experience of the hunt that matters most. You'll have stories tell about the winter of 13. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Re: Tough Hunting

Postby ticklishtompro » April 22nd, 2013, 9:49 pm

Hunting has most certainly been tough. I think the weather has kept a lot of hunters out of the woods. They have not been spending as much time in the woods. Also couple this with how flocked up the birds are yet, their lack of response to calling, and the fact a lot of birds are still in their "wintering" grounds. A lot of places where I am usually seeing birds by this time, they are not there yet. A lot of hunters always hunt the same spot cause it always produces for them, but this year the birds are not there yet. Their patterns have been changing fast now and daily I am seeing birds move to different locations as things slowly start to green up and food sources change daily.

I have been fortunate, my wife has a tag for right now, and because of the cold and wind, she did not hunt much this past weekend. She is a fair weather hunter. Which is fine, if she wants to go we go, if not I take others. I helped a new hunter this past Saturday that I work with and for his first bird he got a dandy. 25lbs, 10 inch beard, and 1.25 inch spurs. I told him that is one heck of a first bird, and it will be hard to top.
My tag starts this week, so we will see what happens as they are predicting some warmer weather.
Attachments
69033_10152937258490001_849107779_n.jpg
Heck of a 1st bird!!!
69033_10152937258490001_849107779_n.jpg (41.72 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 22nd, 2013, 9:58 pm

I hear yah on the weather Charlie. We just can't get rid of this snowpack. Picking up another 4-8" tonight as well. Supposed to be 40-50 the rest of the week though and 60's this weekend. My first season starts Wednesday so I'll be out no matter what. Never thought I'd need snow camo for an April 24th unit 4 hunt....

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 23rd, 2013, 7:28 am

Nice bird congratulations to both of you.

ticklishtompro wrote:as things slowly start to green up

Green? What's that?

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Never thought I'd need snow camo for an April 24th unit 4 hunt....

Snow camo has been needed almost everyday this (spring?)
Everything here is covered in 3" of white this morning, again...
Supposed to be 61 above zero this weekend let us hope that drives a stake into the heart of Old Man Winter!
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin