First Timer

Wackostu

First Timer

Postby Wackostu » April 11th, 2013, 9:37 am

I am so glad I found this forum!

I am getting into hunting late... I am 44 and this will be my first hunt of any kind. I have in-laws that hunt, and I got the fever, and figured I would start with Turkey. I bought my Mossy 500 in December and started to get familiar with her. I was lucky enough to get a late season zone 2 tag for May 8-14. My wife gets a kick out of me because I now have camo, a basic blind, decoys, calls, and about 500 rounds of various ammo, with 100 of it being Horniday Turkey #5.

I am taking hunter safety and all the 10 year olds in the class make me feel old, but I am glad I am doing it as I am learning so much about the sport I am growing to love.

I have found some nice MFL/VPA land that is a nature center/conservancy foundation in Lyons (about 30 minutes from me) that looks promising from he road and Google earth pics. I have been trading emails with the agent for the trust that holds the land and even though I didn't have to I did ask for permission and for a map, and also made a small donation to their barn roof restoration fund as a voluntary thank you.

So in the next couple of weeks I want to head in and just sit/scout and see what I can hear. Less than a month to go and I cant wait!

I am also now more interested in fixing up my old boat for fishing and possibly pheasant and deer in the fall. I think that for years I had an outdoorsman inside that was stifled by stress, long work hours and a bad marriage. Better job, new supportive wife and family/friends to encourage who also hunt and fish help to stoke the fires. I am glad I am now doing this, just too bad it took this long.

Anyhow (if you are still reading) Thanks to all that post here that have given me help and ideas. Is there a better location in SE Wisconsin that I could/should be looking for land/birds?

Gopherlongbeards

Re: First Timer

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 11th, 2013, 10:57 am

Welcome to the addiction. Tough to pick a better place to turkey hunt than WI. Birds are plentiful and there are lots of opportunities to get a tag.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 11th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Welcome to the sport that will drive you bananas :lol: . Patiences is a must in turkey hunt, don't be disapointed if you goof up the first few times you go out, that's almost a given with new hunters that are trying to learn by themselves. The best thing you could do is find a friend that will let you tag along and watch and learn how they hunt them, it would have been worth you weight in gold if you could of gotten into one of the LTH programs that were out there, because it would have put you with an experienced hunter to teach you the ropes of this sport. Scouting is important, learning where the birds are and what they do and where they go during the day will help you out. If you go out scouting, leave your calls at home. You don't want to call to birds your going to be hunting, they can recognize the sound of your calls and won't come anyware near you when you want them to when you start hunting, I know it's fun to call them, but it can hurt your chances. Woodsmenship is as important as your calling, your setups and movement will determin your success highly. Learning when you need to move or stay still is very important to a successful turkey hunter, and that takes time in the field to learn. Forums like this play a huge part in learning techniques for new hunters, read everything you can about what hunters are doing and how it works for them in calling in those wildly skittish birds. Sometimes everything works the way you want it to, most times it just the opposite, it is a tough sport to learn.
Good luck and keep us informed of what your doing and how it's working for you, there are a lot of good hunters here that will help you all they can.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 11th, 2013, 12:52 pm

Wackostu wrote: I think that for years I had an outdoorsman inside that was stifled by stress, long work hours and a bad marriage. Better job, new supportive wife and family/friends to encourage who also hunt and fish help to stoke the fires. I am glad I am now doing this, just too bad it took this long.

Better late than never and you have a lot of lost time to make up for; it sounds like you'll do that with gusto. Hope your little lady is patient. ;)

Consider buying a tag in unit 1 or 3 there are thousands of leftover permits for seasons E & F.

While out scouting take your calls with and practice on the real birds assuming there are no other hunters in the area. Or go to someplace where the turkeys hang out and hunting is not allowed. Work on copying the turkey sounds you hear and engaging them in conversation. Turkeys are the best teachers.

If you haven't already get a Willow Ridge Death Wish call I have found it reliably pulls in turkeys. I like to use custom calls for their unique sound qualities. Many of the call makers on this site make fine quality calls.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Wackostu

Postby Wackostu » April 11th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Thanks to all for your encouragement.

Charlie, you have one heck of a blog. I am getting an education just reading your turkey section.

I really appreciate all the time you guys take here on the forum. Makes us new guys better hunters. :D

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 11th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Welcome wackostu.I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes of turkey hunting when I first got started. Took me 6 long frustrating years to score on my 1st bird. One resource that I initially overlooked was all the expert advice available at the local library. Most are checked out this time of the year, without it I believe it may have taken even longer. Also invested in some videos of turkey hunting....One of my favorite and most informative is the Turkey School series Truth and lies by mossy oak.And of course listening to real turkeys either in the field or or recordings. be careful of some turkey videos as they can give you an unrealistic idea of the hunt....Well hope this helps a little and good hunting.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 12th, 2013, 12:22 am

What section of unit 2 you from? I've got tags for the 5th-6th seasons for unit 2. We might be able to get together for a hunt and teach you a thing or two?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 12th, 2013, 3:49 am

Welcome to the addiction brother. Trust me when I tell you this but if you can muster up a hunt with Mr. Scott (willowridge) then do it. The man knows his stuff and you would learn a lot.

I noticed you said you are using the Hornady's #5. I have to ask what type of pattern are you getting out of them? I bought a couple of boxes to try out a couple of years ago. I had a piece of cardboard up that was 36" X 36". The shot covered half the board at 40 yards and looked like a regular shot gun shot. Im just curious if you got better results. Needles to say but I still have both boxes and only 4 rounds are missing.

I hope you have good luck this season and remember to have patience because it is not uncommon to take 1-2 hours for you to kill a gobbler after you first see or hear him. Practice your calls as much as you can and if possible record them from a distance and see if you are actually sounding like a turkey. :D Most importantly have fun man.

Wackostu

Postby Wackostu » April 14th, 2013, 10:17 pm

WillowRidgeCalls wrote:What section of unit 2 you from? I've got tags for the 5th-6th seasons for unit 2. We might be able to get together for a hunt and teach you a thing or two?

I am down in Racine County and will be hunting May 9 and 10.

Return to Wisconsin