Opener

Gopherlongbeards

Opener

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 9th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Well, good luck to anyone heading out there tomorrow. At least things should start to look better by the weekend.

arrowsonly

Re: Opener

Postby arrowsonly » April 9th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Let me know how much snow you get starting Thursday, I am defiantly buying a small propane heater for in my blind next week...
Thinking about scouting on Saturday/Sunday ?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 9th, 2013, 11:30 pm

I've got an active tag for Wednesday, so I'll be out trying to the hunt the ebb and flow of the storm. :roll:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 10th, 2013, 10:56 am

SE MN is supposed to get mostly rain, only a couple inches of snow which should melt off quickly. I still think you'll be fine for next week Arrows.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 10th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Got a double bearded lightweight today.
double bearded lightweight.jpg
double bearded lightweight.jpg (72.13 KiB) Viewed 942 times

Awoke to 21 degrees, 16 mph wind and sideways freezing whatever. Enjoyed a pot of coffee, puttered around with stuff until I figured the turkeys were off roost. Setup on a windswept point over looking a 2 mile valley and called with my Willowridge Death Wish after 2 sets of calling to my utter surprise a group of gobblers on the opposite side chained back. I called aggressively and they moved along their side until they were almost straight across from me, when they pitched off and sailed to the bottom of the valley on my side. No more response for an hour. I was iced over and soaked, like some the kids discussed in another thread I was under dressed.
Changing into more and dry snow camo I stuffed the snow net in my vest and headed down and around where I thought I had last seen the birds. Willow's Death Wish sang out to be greeted by thunderous gobbles. I moved down the tight logging trail and setup in a not so good spot if the turkeys came they would be in my lap with only the snow net between us.
The first set of 3 came in, jakes, thought about taking 1 with the bad weather forecast and all but waved my gun barrel to scatter them as I was convinced a long beard lurked behind. The jakes flew up into the trees around me and they were pissed, started angry purrs, clucks and putts. I yelped loudly, one of the treed jakes caught me causing him to fly off. While he was in flight a thunderous gobble above me snapped my head around. Yeah, I know, couldn't help it, he startled me, feathers rattling and all well in range but incredibly couldn't see him on the brush choked hillside.
More gravelly yelps from me, he gobbled from the trail; 16 feet and the snow net separated us, as you can see he did not win the race.
Nice double beard and only 14 lb. 12oz. I wonder if all the turkeys are going be small bodied this year?
Last edited by charlie elk on April 10th, 2013, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 10th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Congrats on no.1 charlie, great way to start your seasons off. One day, one bird, can't ask for much better than that, even on a cruddy day. :)
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 10th, 2013, 2:23 pm

I'm not surprised you were able to bag one charlie :D. you've earned a couple days off from the weather now! nice looking bird, even though I don't think I've ever seen a mature bird that small. What did his spurs look like?

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 10th, 2013, 2:41 pm

My hats off to you Mr.Elk. Anyone out hunting in this mess is hunting hard! Congratulations!!!
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 10th, 2013, 3:34 pm

wow I didn't realize you northern boys season was open already. Ohio doesn't open until April 22nd. Kentucky opens Saturday and I'll be there for the first three days. I couldn't stand it any longer and snuck into the woods behind the house this morning and the Gobblers were making the hills ring. I saw two bunches of jakes and three longbeards. I knew where to go so I just slipped in and sat still for 2 hours. In that time 15 birds passed within sight. Got me primed..
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » April 10th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote: . you've earned a couple days off from the weather now! nice looking bird, even though I don't think I've ever seen a mature bird that small. What did his spurs look like?

Thanks for the time off, but if I didn't take the time off my game warden buddy would have something to say...
The bird is different for sure, I have never seen one like this before either. His spurs are blunt and only 1/2". Heck of a beard arrangement though.

Thanks for the kudos everyone and good luck to those out in the hunt.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin