WI Youth Season

WillowRidgeCalls

WI Youth Season

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 5th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Well I set the blind up today and scouted the farm I'm hunting this year. Talked to the farmer to see if he's been seeing any birds, as we were chattin, the flock he's been seeing came out of the woods and into the field, within 50 yards of my blind. There was about 35 birds in that flock, 6 longbeards that I could see, they still haven't broken up yet. He said he sees them 2/3 times a day in that hay field, most of it is still covered with snow. Tonights forcast is 34 degrees, 50% chance of snow turning to freezing rain by morning. Tomorrow 80% chance of rain/T-storms with 25-30mph winds 55 degrees. Hopefully we can get the birds workin early and double up at flydown? I'm puttin my turkey decoy flock out, with 4 hens and my strutter and 2 jakes facing eachother. Plan on staying quiet until flydown, then hit them with a few gobbles and hen talk, and go into some fightin purrs and hat slappin. Hopefully the gobs or jakes come to see what's goin on, hopefully? I'll let you know tomorrow.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

kygobbler

Re: WI Youth Season

Postby kygobbler » April 5th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Good luck tomorrow Scott. Our youth season is this weekend also but unfortunately its my weekend to work. :cry:

dewey

Postby dewey » April 6th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Good luck with the youngsters Scott. I am sure if anyone can call those turkeys in it is you.

I am looking forward to reading the hunt recap.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » April 6th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Hope it is going well. The weather today I am sure hasn't made it easy. The winds are howling pretty good. I am not real sad no one asked me to call for them today. Tomorow is sounding like much better weather for a hunt, but good luck to you.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 6th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Tough hunting this morning.... blowing snow storm, gusting winds ..... birds flew down and flocked up immediately. got many courtesy gobbles as the flock of around 100 moved away from us ,unfortunately onto land I don't have permission to hunt. the wind was gusting at around 30 mph with no let up. moved to an area out of the wind by "sneaking" through 2 feet of crusty snow.once things settled down i let out a few yelps and got some half hearted response fro an area around 200 yds away.... couldn't pull him through the swamp. I'm sure he was with a flock because i could hear yelping. tried gobbling but just got some courtesy gobbles back. my youngest was shivering by this time so we went back to the truck and she fell asleep. gotta just laugh this one off and hope the wind settles down for tomorrow. my friend texted me when i got home and said he spooked a flock while he was going in to move his deer stands. so the plan is being formulated for tomorrow. almost left out the best part.... the snow turned into a 10 minute downpour that switched to a drizzle that soaked us. Even with rain gear on it was pretty uncomfortable.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » April 6th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Sounds like a rough day for sure. I hope you and the youngster have pretty luck and weather conditions tomorrow.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 6th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Well it was a tough day, we never got to the blind until almost 7 am. I had talked with my young hunter Weds. night at the meeting and he was excited to go. I told him to make sure he dressed warm because it would be cold early in the morning, and ware good boots because of the snow/mud. Him and his dad was at the shop at 4:30 and waiting to go. I figured this will be a short hunt, because he only wore a camo hoodie, t-shirt, and camo pants with tennis shoes, no socks. Oh Boy :roll: . I gave him my heavy jacket and a blanket to wrap up in, to keep him warm. Well we got to the farm and the first thing he did was jump into a snow bank and filled his shoes full of snow, got his butt chew by dad for doing that. Then as we were headed out to the blind through the snow and ice, he figured it would be cool to slide on the ice, well as you can about figure, that ice isn't froze, which sent him nose first into the water and mud, soaked from head to foot, face, jacket, pants, and shoes, good thing dad was carrying the gun. Back to the truck we went and back home they went to change and put warmer cloths on. I wouldn't of wanted to be in that truck on the way home :shock: . Back they came at 6am and out we went again, made it to the blind this time, but by then it was light and starting to get windy as all get out. We only lasted until 8:30, by then he couldn't sit still any longer. Back we went for lunch and back out again by noon, sat until 3, but didn't see or hear a bird in that wind.
Tomorrows another day and maybe the wind will lay down some and be a bit warmer? Be interesting to see if my hunter shows up in the morning or not, fingers crossed :lol: .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Postby dewey » April 6th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Sounds like some tough hunting conditions for sure. Good luck tomorrow to all of you guys going out.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » April 7th, 2013, 8:54 am

Hope you guys have better luck today, at least the kids are having fun.

charlie elk

Re: Youth Season

Postby charlie elk » April 7th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Makes me chuckle; kids will be kids; so much more interests them than it does us "adults". I sure hope his father wasn't too hard on him because I bet if you ask the youngster he'll say he had a blast.
I really admire and appreciate you taking young adults hunting willow.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Next

Return to Wisconsin