One extreme to another

ticklishtompro

One extreme to another

Postby ticklishtompro » March 10th, 2013, 9:29 pm

We have had a pretty mild winter over here in the Eastern part of the state. Lately it has been extremes. A week ago this past Wed. we recieved over 17 inches of snow. The weather has warmed up and now it has been raining the last day and a half. There is a lot of snow gone, but now we are in a flood warning and there is water everywhere. Three weeks until the first hunt of the season, actually a little less. The 29th is the first day in the woods. Hopefully we get rid of the majority of this snow by then.
Haven't heard any gobbling yet or any strutting birds. How about anyone else? Usually by now I have seen my first strutter. I figure we get a couple warm sunny days and then they will be out showing off.

Randy
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

dewey

Re: One extreme to another

Postby dewey » March 10th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Last year I was at a friends kids birthday and were outside on the deck with almost all of the snow gone but this year there is a good chance that there will be snow on the ground for Easter. Hopefully the weather will warm up and the snow will melt before your youth season starts.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 11th, 2013, 2:14 pm

There has been nothing mild about winter here in West Central WI. January was well below normal temperature and February continued the temp trend with lots of freezing rain and now March continues colder than average temps with nearly 2 feet of wet snow which was preceded with an 1.5" of rain. It's tough on the wildlife out there right now. But I do think the turkeys are going to come through in pretty good shape.
During Saturday's blizzard Vic and I encountered 6 strutters in the middle of the dirt road, due to deep wet snow it was the only place they could strut. These were the first strutters I've seen this "spring?" and other than some gobbling while scouting in MN- silence here in WI.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 12th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Birds have been pretty quiet and inconspicuous in SE Minnesota and around the metro. I take this as a good thing, they are finding all the food they need in the woods. It won't be long though till they start getting into gear. temps are supposed to be into the 40's by next week...

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » March 14th, 2013, 9:38 am

Winter has also been pretty rough, comparative to last year,in NE wis.I did see 2 Toms traveling with the local flock of hens yesterday so things are proceeding as normal despite the cold and snow.My only concern is that come youth season they will still be flocked up like 2 years ago.
For those about to hunt .... We salute you!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 14th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Your concern about the youth season is valid gutpiler. At this rate everyone in April may be hunting in the snow.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 14th, 2013, 4:17 pm

thats 1 good reason to move the season back a wk or so for the kids & extend the WI season later into may it will help the kids with late cold snowy springs like this will be if things dont change fast...???

but this winter really sucks we are seeing flocks of 40+ in my area but i wonder how they are doing down in turkey country in SW WI???

there is alot of south facing slopes & oak trees farms cows & homes in that area so i hope the birds are doing ok???

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » March 15th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Well another Ice storm here today, and talk of more significant snowfall on Monday. Sure is a lot different from last spring, the first few weeks of March have been pretty rough in the weather department...

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 15th, 2013, 9:05 pm

I for one am glad this spring breakup is going to be a bit slower, not like last year, everything was a month ahead. We should have some great seasons, unless something changes fast? Seen the first flock of geese back today, so spring is coming soon. If the temps start warming up a little we should be in great shape for the youth season and our regular seasons this year.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 17th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Looks like more snow again Monday, we got 3" on Friday night and 3" or more coming. I've been looking at a game cart for hauling my gear, maybe I better get a sled...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Next

Return to Wisconsin