Dead Turkeys are Being Found

charlie elk

Dead Turkeys are Being Found

Postby charlie elk » February 21st, 2013, 4:09 pm

Over the last 3 weeks we've had about 6 inches of a hard ice sheet covering the landscape here in West-Central area. There is talk around that some guys are finding dead turkeys frozen into the ground. I've found a few dead ones myself but nothing on the scale of the 2010 die off. Yet.
Of course this causes concern about what is going to happen next in turkey land. There is no thaw in the forecast near term, just below freezing temps and 7-8 inches of additional snow.
March can be the deadliest time for wildlife sure hope that is not going to be the case this year.

Anyone else finding stressed or dead birds out in your areas?
Last edited by charlie elk on February 22nd, 2013, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Dead Turkeys are Being Found

Postby Gopherlongbeards » February 22nd, 2013, 8:41 am

I have not been out in the woods since the fall season closed, been busy fishing. Sure hope we get a thaw here some time in the next couple weeks, although we don't have much of an ice sheet at all up here, it's been mostly snow.

charlie elk

Re: Dead Turkeys are Being Found

Postby charlie elk » February 23rd, 2013, 9:22 pm

Up where we hunted escaped the ice storm and got mostly snow. So "your" turkeys should be fine.
The turkeys here are feeding up in the box elder trees. Once upon a time I believed the county forester about box elder and sumac being invasive natives that must be exterminated. However, after observing turkeys in late winter regularly feeding on their seeds I have come to really appreciate those trees along with the other trees and shrubs that hold their seeds till spring thaw. (high bush cranberry, honey suckle, European buckthorn, black locust, etc.)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin