Another fall first

ticklishtompro

Another fall first

Postby ticklishtompro » November 4th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Well, today I decided I needed to spend a little time in the woods turkey hunting. I have been spending a lot of time in the treestand bow hunting, but really have only went out turkey hunting 2 times. But today before the Packer game I made the time. I had been seeing 2 groups of birds while in stand, and to and from the stand, plus lots of trail camera pics of turkeys. One group is hens and their young and there are about 25 birds in that flock. This morning as it got light out this group was roosted all around me and I got to watch and listen to them all wake up. The other flock is 8 gobblers. I have been seeing them but not quite as regularly as the family group.

The birds have been spending a lot of time in a cut bean field which has new winter wheat coming up in it. When I pulled up no birds. I drove around the section to check the 2 hay fields they hang out in, but no birds to be seen. So I figured they were in the woods which was fine, so I was figuring out where to go in. I came back around to park, and they were all in the field, both flocks. So I snuck in around the backside of them and got to within 100 yards of them in the field. I set up and started with a couple kee kees. I immediately got a couple yelps and other chatter. I then gave a couple yelps back and they answered immediately. So I shut up and waited. Pretty soon the birds disappeared to I debated my next move. I should have learned by now, but I decided to move, cause I thought they had fed away from me. I started to slowly move and suddenly I heard some scratching in the leaves and some putts. Luckily there was some thicker brush in between us or the gig would have been up. I got down, did a few clucks and purrs and the next thing I know a young jake took a load of #4's in the head. It was fun, and even though it wasn't a big gobbler, my heart was pounding just as much.

So what was the first? It is the first jake I have ever shot. Another trophy this fall, and 1 tag left in my pocket. Maybe I will go for the cycle and shoot a tom, so I get one of each this fall. Well, we will see what walks in front of the barrel first! :D
Attachments
IMG952012110495120916.jpg
My first jake!
IMG952012110495120916.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

kygobbler

Re: Another fall first

Postby kygobbler » November 4th, 2012, 11:31 pm

Fine bird, tick. Good luck on getting the cycle.

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » November 5th, 2012, 8:55 am

Nice bird TTP, I'm going to have to get out again this coming weekend. been too busy here lately. Love how long the season is :D

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 5th, 2012, 11:24 am

Congrats on your jake TT.Good luck trying for a longbeard.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » November 5th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Very nice hunt and bird. Congrats!

Return to Wisconsin