Fall Drawing Completed with 58,979 Leftover

charlie elk

Fall Drawing Completed with 58,979 Leftover

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2012, 3:21 pm

Today is the day you can check your drawing success online. Everyone should have been drawn for their first tag.
There are 58,979 permits leftover you can see the units here http://dnr.wi.gov/permits/fallturkey.html
I bought my fall license/tag today because it makes me feel so much better to have a turkey tag in my pocket. Very medicinal for the addiction the only thing better is when the season finally gets here!
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Treerooster

Re: Fall Drawing Completed with 58,979 Leftover

Postby Treerooster » August 21st, 2012, 4:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up Charlie.

Hasn't there usually been a lot more leftovers for unit 4?

I'll probably get my tag on the 25th or soon there after and pick up a extra tag at the same time. Saves 1 $3 fee that way. :D
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » August 21st, 2012, 5:33 pm

Got my tag going to see if I can get another one for unit 2 on Saturday, only 4800 left and they will go fast, they usually do. We will see what happens, at least I have 1 tag for sure! :D
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 21st, 2012, 6:17 pm

Treerooster wrote:Hasn't there usually been a lot more leftovers for unit 4?

I think it is usually about 10-11k each year.
37,721 hunters drew permits this might be up slightly from last year and if past years are any guide about 10,000 of those will not buy their license leaving those permits unusable to anyone.
In unit 4 - 4,124 were drawn, only about 3000 will buy a turkey license and only half of the remaining at best will buy a second tag. Last year there were about 8000 tags in unit 4 left unsold at season's end. So for us really addicted turkey hunters that leaves so many tags and so little time.

ticklishtompro wrote:Got my tag going to see if I can get another one for unit 2 on Saturday,

Congratulations and good luck getting the second. Just remember tickles, there are plenty of tags left just to the west of you.
later,
charlie

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » August 21st, 2012, 10:31 pm

charlie elk wrote:Congratulations and good luck getting the second. Just remember tickles, there are plenty of tags left just to the west of you

Yeah, I know. Less than an hour drive and I can be in unit 3, but time is the biggest thing. I used to go out in Adams county a lot in the spring, but not real sure what the birds do there in the fall. I spend a lot of my free time in a tree with the stick and string deer hunting and never seems like I have enough time to do that as much as I like. There are also so many birds in my area here that I would really like to stay close to home, heck I watch them in the hayfields across the street from my porch! Plus I try to sneak up north once in a while to go for some grouse, and then there is pheasant hunting. Just not enough hours in the day for it all. I guess I will take what I get and enjoy the time I get out in the woods whetherI have 1 tag to fill or more.

Randy
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 23rd, 2012, 1:36 pm

Left over tags go on sale Sat. 8/25, at 10:00am, one tag per day.
Zone 1== 20,557
Zone 2== 4,816
Zone 3== 21,846
Zone 4== 10,876
Zone 5== 884
Zone 6== 0
Zone 7== 0
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 24th, 2012, 1:30 pm

ticklishtompro wrote: I spend a lot of my free time in a tree with the stick and string deer hunting

We are blessed with so many hunting opportunities here in WI, many times right out our back doors, so to speak. I like a stick and string myself, always have.
buck with bow.JPG
buck with bow.JPG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 685 times

So I'll wish you early success with your bow so that you'll have more time for the rest. :D
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 25th, 2012, 10:11 am

Got my 2nd unit 2 tag today, I'll get my zone 3 tomorrow.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on August 26th, 2012, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » August 25th, 2012, 1:06 pm

I got a 2nd unit 2 tag today, maybe a 3rd tomorrow! Also checked my trail cam today, some nice bucks and some nice gobblers on there. The gobblers are walking past the camera twice a day at around the same time. They make a nice pair but I may have to come between their friendship and break them up!!! :D :twisted:

Nice buck there Charlie!
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 25th, 2012, 1:49 pm

The OTC tags are selling very slowly as of 2:00 today only 95 have sold in #4 and 793 in #2 so you guys should be able to get at least another #2 tag tomorrow and maybe a third on Monday and a fourth on Tuesday if you're really lucky. Good luck.
ticklishtompro wrote: The gobblers are walking past the camera twice a day at around the same time. They make a nice pair but I may have to come between their friendship and break them up!!! :D :twisted:

Breaking up turkeys is what fall is all about. ;) Besides they're not really all that friendly with each other.
But in 3 weeks, the odds are high the turkey card deck will be reshuffled.
later,
charlie

Next

Return to Wisconsin