What a Season!

ticklishtompro

What a Season!

Postby ticklishtompro » May 22nd, 2012, 10:22 pm

It has been one of the best turkey seasons ever, yet also one of the most frustrating. I had the best weekend ever with the Learn To Hunt I run where I called in 4 birds on the weekend for kids to shoot. The youth hunt I took out my buddy's son and he missed a 20 yard shot, but he enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. After that there were many ups and downs. In all I called in 7 birds that were killed on the season, the largest being a 26.5lb 3 year old. There were 2 others that missed and several others that had opportunities but it just didn't happen. Brian Lovett came over for a hunt, but the day we went out the birds had lock-beak! A good time was still had and we did see a couple of gobblers, one was coming for a visit until a hen intercepted and took him for a walk the other way.

This was the first year in a long time I did not shoot a bird myself! But I would rather watch someone else shoot it than do it myself, I love calling them in for rookies. I missed one bird, but did shoot a coyote. So I guess I did have a kill. I focused on a couple of big older birds, and they taught me many things, yet at times it wasn't what I wanted to learn at the time. I had an opportunity to shoot a smaller bird within my first hour out in my first season but passed on him, and I do not regret it at all. I could have shot many different jakes, but I want them to make it to next year so we can have lots of fun next season.

The Ticklish Tom Team had a great first year! 3 of us on the crew and we harvested a total of 15 birds with the calls. I think that speaks pretty highly of their quality!

I hunted every weekend since March 31. I am looking forward to sleeping in next weekend cause I am exhausted! But it was worth it all and I can't wait till next spring. Of course there is that whole fall season and bowhunting which is my other passion.

All in all I count this season as a huge success, can't believe it is over already.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Re: What a Season!

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 23rd, 2012, 8:40 am

Sounds like a great season TTP, let the countdown till 2013 begin!

Return to Wisconsin