Sunrise Turkey

charlie elk

Sunrise Turkey

Postby charlie elk » May 19th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Had a sudden change of plans last night a good buddy called who had heard a gobbler while fishing on the Mississippi yesterday afternoon. He quit turkey hunting a few years ago. However he knew I would be interested even though there was a huge bluff to climb. Since there has not been vocal turkeys anywhere I could detect; so at 5:00 am I found myself at the base of a 500 ft+ bluff thinking just maybe my friend was playing with me. There was no turkey talk going on, a beautiful but silent morning and I'm in an area my boots had never before trod. Up the old logging path, hooting and cawing. At the top the woods was open, 5:45 not so much as a cluck.
Setup on the most comfortable tree of the season the sun just a red ball peeking over the horizon at my back. Fighting off a bout of tree trunk narcolepsy I made my first calls quiet yelps, rising to cackles and into fighting purrs. Nothing. Let out a series of lost yelps and kee-kees. Quiet.
About 6:10 red pinkish sunrise light is filtering and dancing in all around throughout the woods, gorgeous and I know not from where he came, the most outrageously beautiful strutting turkey I have ever seen; bathed in the glow of sunrise. His feathers caught and shimmered those colored rays of light back at me as he pirouetted on his toes in a manner that would make any ballerina jealous. I gazed intently over the harsh barrel, usually a natural thing at times like this, but it seemed so out of place this morning.....
Last edited by charlie elk on May 20th, 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Sunrise Turkey

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 19th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Awesome!! At least you found one that still wanted to play.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

dewey

Re: Sunrise Turkey

Postby dewey » May 19th, 2012, 11:02 pm

Sounds like you had an absolutely perfect morning!!! I think after a while you start to realize it is not always about the kill but the journey to get to that point. Congratulations on the season Charlie!

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Wisconsin