Online or Phone Registration

charlie elk

Online or Phone Registration

Postby charlie elk » June 14th, 2011, 12:42 pm

This fall we will start registering our turkeys online or by phone with no option for in person registration.  Same goes for 2012 spring.
  For me it is about time much more convenient than driving out of my way to a registration station.

What do others think?  Like or dislike? 
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

SpitnDrum

RE: Online or Phone Registration

Postby SpitnDrum » June 14th, 2011, 8:49 pm

We have been checking in our game in this way for a while now in Ky.Makes things more convenient but there isn't the comraderie around the check stations.You can still drive your harvest to the old stations and have them call em in for ya but the folks waiting to see the Game won't be there.Thats really the only downfall to this checking system I see.Simple to follow and check in only takes a few minutes.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

retranger

Postby retranger » June 15th, 2011, 2:32 am

In NY we have also been doing this for a few years. It works great as long as the system is working properly. I have had times where dI could not submit my report as the system was messed up.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dewey

Postby dewey » June 15th, 2011, 5:21 am

In MN we started telephone and internet registration last year and I must say that I am a GIANT fan of it. We were able to register our deer last year while we were driving home and then take them right to the butcher. Same goes for turkeys.

The convience of not having to drive to town to register your game is awesome.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kenturkey89

Postby kenturkey89 » June 15th, 2011, 6:18 am

I agree with the others. Checking your game in by phone makes it much much easier on both the hunter and local game commission. I'm not sure when KY made the move to this type of system because I've never had to personally check my game in at a check station. I shot a doe last year just before dark and it would have been a long night if I would have had to drive her to the check station, drive her back, and then get started field dressing her. Same goes with turkeys. This year I shot a bird, brought it back to the house for pictures, called it in, and started cleaning my bird. I'm not sure if there's many, if any, downfalls to this type of system, at least not any that I'm aware of. I'm sure you'll love the change, Charlie![;)]
Brian

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 15th, 2011, 9:36 am

Ohio started it this spring with the opening of Turkey season . It's simple and easy . Took me only a couple minutes .

I do miss the metal tags though and the check station turkey talk .

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » June 15th, 2011, 10:58 am

I'm thinking they done the change in Ky in 98 Brian.One other thing I have seen the system improve is the ability to keep your paperwork/confirmation number stored properly when taking your critters to the taxidermists and such.They use to take the tag stubs with your kill.Meat processors where the worst for losing this.I have a book I keep all dates and confirmation numbers written down in for the critters I have harvested.It's dated back to Y2K.That makes it easy to keep track of you total harvest numbers.
Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

yankee gobbler

Postby yankee gobbler » June 17th, 2011, 6:11 am

IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!!!!

I HUNT SD, NE and da UP of MI and NOW we will be doing the same. I never could figure out why we register them.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 19th, 2011, 5:32 am

Agreed yankee gobbler and welcome to the forum. 
Some others here certainly sound like they have better check stations.  Mine certainly have lacked comradeship; usually there is a grumpy attendant with polished fingernails whom I am bothering by showing up with a dead turkey and said turkey is the very last thing they wanted to see or touch...
Goes for deer too.  Time for WDNR to modernize they are way behind the curve compared to other states. 
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

yankee gobbler

Postby yankee gobbler » June 23rd, 2011, 6:51 am

Ya got that right. Smiling and being friendly would want me to maybe purchase mdse. at their place of business, or buy gas.

I do feel it is time to trust our hunters and use the phone or PC or ???????? You will always have the dishonest few that never registered them before and changing the law won't stop their breaking the laws. Most all states do not even register turkeys. They send out random questionnaires and some even give you a preference point for replying to the questionnaire.

Next

Return to Wisconsin