Where is everybody?

wisgobbler

Where is everybody?

Postby wisgobbler » March 28th, 2009, 8:57 am

Where are all these great WI turkey hunters at? The season is less than 20 days away! We need to start talking and sharing our scouting stories.

This morning I saw about 20 turkeys out in a green field feeding. Earlier this week I saw 2 strutters and 10 hens out in a field and 4 strutters and 15 hens out in a different field. Last week there were 6 strutters and 20 hens out in a field on a property I can hunt. The birds here have been gobbling some, but nothing major yet.
Whats everyone else seeing or hearing?
Kyle

gutpiler

RE: Where is everybody?

Postby gutpiler » March 29th, 2009, 8:11 am

I was driving west on hwy 29 last week and saw 2 strutters with a hen around weston/wausau area but otherwise I haven't been seeing too much. I haven't personally scouted my hunting area yet but the farmer who lets me hunt said they were still flocked up! (this was a week ago)I'm sure the snow we are getting today isn't helping matters.Only 2 weeks till the youth hunt and my son is sighted in and ready to go so the only thing left is the waiting.I plan on putting some boots on the ground April 1,because thats the day that will work for me and the landowner to get together. Anybody else want to chime in feel free I check the wis forum about every other day and was starting to think maybe I was the only one hunting in wis this year.

P.S. wis gobbler the fields up here are still dead, no green whatsoever.

wisgobbler

Postby wisgobbler » March 29th, 2009, 5:31 pm

The turkeys are hitting the winter wheat fields here which are green and lush. Otherwise they are just out in random fields feeding.

Yesterday I saw 2 different spots with 1 tom and 9 hens. Tonight there was a strutter with 15 hens out in a field. I'm starting to worry that the hens really outnumber the toms this year.

Also, yesterday I purchased an extra tag for the 5th season.
Kyle

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » April 1st, 2009, 1:29 pm

a couple of weeks ago I saw the flock of turkeys that are usually in my woods a few miles north in a neihbors yard.  Probably because the snow was to deep in our woods and there was no food. 
Alex

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am

went out yesterday scouting and watched a tom strutting with 3 hens. they were in a field that the farmer is spreading manure on.I will be hunting in oconto county by lena, just kind of wondering what part of oconto county you're by.

neal

Postby neal » April 3rd, 2009, 7:34 pm

Hey guys

Was seeing tons of birds but when the snow left they all are hanging out more in the woods seeing some struters but mostly just feeding with the hens. We do our mentor hunt the 10th and 11th so I've just started doing some serious scouting, lots of sign should be another great spring! Can't wait till the 18th heading to Kansas for 3 days then to Nebraska for 4 days then I've got 3rd 5th and 6th season up here in zone 4. I can't sleep anymore but i guess thats what the month of June is for!!

Good luck to everyone! Hunt safe

Neal

wisgobbler

Postby wisgobbler » April 4th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Went down to the deer and turkey expo today and saw strutters everywhere. I bought a couple chairs down there for my doghouse blind. Did anyone else go?

Also, tonight I saw a strutter in a field at about 7:30 which I found really weird because it was almost dark and he was still on the ground strutting. However, it's a good sign and gets me even more pumped.

10 more days!
Kyle

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 5th, 2009, 7:17 am

do you reckon that LATE evening strutter had some hens close by ?

wisgobbler

Postby wisgobbler » April 5th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Yeah I'm guessing he had some hens near by, but I didn't see them. He was right on the edge of the woods and there weren't any other turkeys on the field. I was also really surprised because I hadn't seen a strutter there in 3-4 years.
Kyle

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » April 10th, 2009, 12:38 pm

gutpiler I am hunting in North Chase.  just to the west of sobieski. 
Alex

Next

Return to Wisconsin