Sunday Hunting

ylpnfol

Sunday Hunting

Postby ylpnfol » January 31st, 2012, 11:04 am

looks like the old dominion legislature will finally pass the sunday hunting law, it's been a long time coming.....the law, if passed [ still needs to clear the house of delegates, i believe ] will exclude the hunting of deer w/ dogs on sunday.....so i say, an extra day to turkey hunt is a good thing, i hunt pretty hard when the seasons in, and sundays were generally my " stuff to do " day, we'll see how it all plays out, but overall i believe it's good for hunters and related business.
David

You never know, unless you go

turkeydoghunter

Re: Sunday Hunting

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 31st, 2012, 8:27 pm

good news
Break em at Night...Back at light

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 6th, 2012, 7:38 pm

geez, not feeling all that sure about this happening now, after an article in the sunday paper by MY HOD rep., who states that he will vote AGAINST the bill when it comes up, this is from a rural REPUBLICAN, this tradition [ no hunting on sunday ] runs deep in va., and i personally didn't think it would ever change, if it doesn't make it this time, i may be right .....my fingers are crossed
David

dewey

Postby dewey » February 6th, 2012, 9:01 pm

What reasons do people have to vote against a hunting on Sunday proposal? Is the reason religious? As far as I know Sunday hunting in MN has always been allowed, thankfully.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » February 7th, 2012, 6:09 am

Dewey, I believe it is mostly to do with religion. I know several "old timers" (no offense to anyone) that strongly believe that Sunday is the day of rest and you should be being thankful to God. The ones that I know that are like that will not even let you hunt on their land if it is Sunday. I am not knocking it any shape form or fashion but that is what some people think.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 7th, 2012, 10:25 am

yes the religious factor is one reason, va. is a very conservative state [ except during the '08 election, hope we rethink that one this go'round ], but the delegate pointed to other types of outdoor recreation [ hiking, fishing, horseback riding ] that can be affected by hunters. the law, if passed, would only apply to private land, NO HUNTING, STILL, ON PUBLIC LAND, so why the landowner can't say yah or nay to sunday hunting is beyond me. [ tho, he did point out that bullets don't recognize property lines :evil: ] guess we'll know w/in a couple of weeks
David

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 18th, 2012, 9:36 pm

well, after what looked like a done deal, the bill to open sunday hunting was killed in commitee, never made it to the floor for a vote in HOD, looks like we'll have to wait for another go at it next year.....
David

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » February 19th, 2014, 8:57 am

For the first time, a bill allowing Sunday hunting has made it to the governors desk, which means it will, more than likely, pass, I believe it is only on private land, and no running of dogs, and a few other regs, but it's been a longtime coming, got my fingers crossed, my wife on the other hand ( pardon the pun ) is making another gesture w/ her finger :shock:
David

retranger

Postby retranger » February 19th, 2014, 11:43 am

I don't see the reasoning of no Sunday hunting, some folks only have Sat and Sun to hunt. We have always had Sun hunting in NY as long as I can remember. ;) ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

BigGobbler

Postby BigGobbler » February 20th, 2014, 1:00 pm

ylpnfol wrote:For the first time, a bill allowing Sunday hunting has made it to the governors desk, which means it will, more than likely, pass, I believe it is only on private land, and no running of dogs, and a few other regs, but it's been a longtime coming, got my fingers crossed, my wife on the other hand ( pardon the pun ) is making another gesture w/ her finger :shock:

Really? If your not going to open it up to hunt on sundays on private and public land both then do not open it at all. That's bull shit when they do this crap just to please the pocket greasers.

Next

Return to Virginia