Virginia's 2010 Spring Season Showcase

NovaBasser

Virginia's 2010 Spring Season Showcase

Postby NovaBasser » April 7th, 2010, 4:07 am

Season Opener in 3 days!  I'd like for everyone to share their Spring 2010 hunt stories and pictures in this thread! 

Virginia Boy

RE: Virginia's 2010 Spring Season Showcase

Postby Virginia Boy » April 9th, 2010, 12:18 pm

Good luck to all you VA turkey hunters. I'm originally from VA, but moved to IN/MI area in 1998. I'm actually out in VA right now on vacation - Shenandoah Valley area - Harrisonburg vicinity. Tomorrow is opener! I had a buddy take my son on youth hunt last Saturday. We saw lots of hens and one big ole gobbler. Hung up at 60-70 yds. Man, was he pretty though. All fanned out, long beard, struttin. Had about 7-8 hens with him and wouldn't move. My buddy is going after him early tomorrow AM. Hope he smokes him!! I'll feel a little like my son and me were a part of it if he scores. Take care, be safe, and good luck!!

HILLBILLY

RE: Virginia's 2010 Spring Season Showcase

Postby HILLBILLY » April 12th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I SET UP ON A FIELD EDGE WITH PINE RIDGES ON BOTH SIDES THIS MORNING AND THE TOMS WERE GOBBLING RANDOMLY(not responding to calls). SINCE I COULDN'T DO ANYTHING WITH EM' I DECIDED TO GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. I DROVE AROUND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIDGE ON MY WAY OUT AND SAW A GROUP OF HENS UP ON THE HILL AT THE EDGE OF THE PINES. I WAS TRYING TO FIND MY BINOCULARS WHEN I HERD A GOBBLE FROM THE PINES. I TURNED THE TRUCK AROUND AND WENT BACK AND PARKED WHERE I WAS EARLIER AND CLIMBED THE BACK SIDE OF THE PINE RIDGE. ON TOP THERE WAS A GAS-WELL ROAD SO I WAS ABLE TO MOVE QUIETLY. AT FIRST I DIDN'T CALL ANY. I WOULD JUST WAIT FOR A GOBBLE AND MOVE A LITTLE CLOSER AFTER A WHILE WITH NO GOBBLING I STARTED CUTTING A LITTLE AND THE WHOLE DANG RIDGE ERUPTED AND THEY WERE RIGHT ON TOP OF ME. I DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD SET UP TREE NEAR ME BUT THE GAS-WELL ROAD I WAS IN HAD AN EARTH BERM ON EACH SIDE SO I LAYED PRONE ACROSS THE BERM AND AIMED DOWN THE HILL JUST IN TIME TO SEE 4 LONGBEARDS CROSSING IN FRONT OF MY GUN. I PICKED AN OPENING AND WHEN THE LEAD BIRD STEPPED INTO IT, I CUT LOOSE. 3 TOMS FLEW OFF AND ONE ROLLED DOWN THE HILL, DEAD AS A HAMMER. MY LIL' BOY JOSH( AKA HALF-COCK) WAS STEAMING WHEN I CALLED HOME AND TOLD HIM CAUSE HE SAID LAST NIGHT HE DIDN'T WANT TO GO CAUSE IT WAS GONNA BE TOO COLD. HAD HE BEEN WITH ME WE COULD'VE DOUBLED. ANYWAY HERE HE IS.
2 YEAR OLD BIRD
17 POUNDS
1'' SPURS
9'' BEARD
SCORE= 55

PICTURES  IN TALKIN TURKEY BOARD
MAKIN A LIVIN' SIX INCHES FROM HELL

Return to Virginia