Picture posting help

Tips for getting the most from this forum!
Cut N Run

Picture posting help

Postby Cut N Run » April 16th, 2008, 1:31 pm

I have tried to post a couple of pictures here and they were too big. I do not know how to re-size them.  I have a Photobucket account which automatically re-sizes them. May I post pictures from there to here (I just don't know how to do it)?  Computers are obviously not my strong point.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

RE: Picture posting help

Postby Fan Club » April 17th, 2008, 3:36 am

Jim-

I ran into the same snag when I tried to repost my avatar and profile pic. Too big, as they are currently sized on my hardrive.

I went back to the old forum (still available) and checked my profile there. The old forum software had automatically resized my pic for the avatar there to a smaller version. I saved that smaller version to my hardrive and it uploaded successfully for my avatar as you can see. I couldn't get a profile pic to load so I just selected the "Use Avatar photo for Profile" option. I have gotten a much larger photo to load in the "Prettiest Sub Species" thread so I'm not sure what's up...probably they are still tinkering with it.

On the old software, Photobucket or a similar hosting site wouldn't work, the pics just loaded from your PC. I do know that photobucket has a "thumbnail" sizing option for hosted pics there...you could try it with this new software and see.

Jeff

PS- To post photobucket pics, copy the URL (address) of the individual photo on photobucket, and paste it into the window for photo location when you select the "imbed a photo in message" option. I'll try to help if you still have problems.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 17th, 2008, 10:41 am

Thanks Jeff,

The biggest problem I have is that I am a computer Idiot.

I'm ashamed to say how long it took for me to figure out how to post pictures for another website. I actually had people threating to drive from Tx to N.C. to kick my @$$ if I wouldn't stop posting picture addresses instead of actual pictures.  Once I got it figured out they go changing the rules, and I am forced back to square one.  I will keep re-reading your post until it makes sense. Good thing its not rocket science, Huh?

If you give a monkey a stick of dynamite and a pack of matches there will be a boom eventually.

Jim

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 17th, 2008, 10:46 am

P.S. There was a reason I never had an avatar at the old site in the first place...

JSchlender

Postby JSchlender » April 18th, 2008, 7:16 am

I will try not to create more questions than I can answer, but here are just a few basics of posting photos to this (or most any) Web forum.

1. First, get a copy of the photo on your desktop before you even start to make your post. That way you will know where to find the darn thing later.

2. When it comes to sizing a photo, most computers come with some sort of basic photo editing software. At the least, it should allow you to resize photos by size in inches and/or size in pixels.

3. Photos posted in messages on this site need to be smaller than 200 KB (.2 MB). When you downsize your photos in inches or pixels, the size in KB will get smaller. To further knock down the size, most photo editing programs allow you to lower the image quality. For a photo that is only going to be viewed on a computer screen, you can lower the image quality quite a bit without it being noticeable.

4. For reference, the turkey photo below is 288 x 442 pixels. My avatar photo at left is 145 x 145 pixels.

5. One more note: Be sure to click on "My Profile" at the top of the page after logging in. This allows you to customize your profile, add an avatar photo (the little pic that appears whenever you make a post) and post a larger profile photo.

Hope this helps. We are working on setting up a technical support e-mail, which I will announce when it is ready. In the meantime, feel free to post other questions in this forum. The regulars here are all helpful in assisting new members.

Thanks,
Jim Schlender
Editor

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 18th, 2008, 9:55 am

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I will take time to study it on Sunday when hunting is illegal here in N.C.. For now, I have to finish up work and haul boogie out to the cabin at the lease for tomorrow's hunt! I still have one Turkey tag left and it is burning a hole in my pocket.

Regards,
Jim Cornwell

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 12:48 pm

Git r done! Good luck!
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Roadtrip

Postby Roadtrip » May 1st, 2008, 11:48 am

Please let us know if you figured it out!!

Shannon

Roadtrip

Postby Roadtrip » May 1st, 2008, 11:57 am

test... testing the avatar!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 11th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Lost cause.  I have a picture of one of my best friends with an Oscillated Turkey he killed in Guatemala to complete his World Slam a couple weeks ago that I wanted to post here, but I can not figure this site out to save my life (not that I'm all that computer savvy to start with).  The old site was a piece of cake...this one is like learning to speak Chinese. Once I get it, I'm sure I'll be kicking myself for being so stupid.  I completely fail to grasp it currently.  Is there someone out there I can email it to who would post it for me? Sorry for being so ignorant, but if you don't get it, all the practice in the world won't solve the problem.

I copied the picture, but as soon as I opened the posting window, it vanishes (over & over again).

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Forum Rules and Help