Spring of 2012!!

perrysbirds

Spring of 2012!!

Postby perrysbirds » April 20th, 2011, 11:46 am

Just throwing this out there but I want to hunt the black hills next year....
Anyone have any reccomdations on a good outfitter?

Perry

roycefromrc

RE: Spring of 2012!!

Postby roycefromrc » April 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm

Perry, Im not 100% on this but, I dont think you mcan get an outfitter for the black hills. Since its all public land.im pretty sure its illegal.You can look up the south dakota GF & P website to get in touch with them. They should have the answers for your questions. If it were pheasants, I could put you in touch with all kinds of outfitters, but the turkey scene is still pretty new to us SD boys.The good thing is its a vast area with all kinds of roads and trasils and tons of birds.Theyve been really henned up so far this season,so you might think about waiting a couple weeks to come out. I do have a line on 2400 acres of private ground i could steer you to if interested.Little pressure and tons of birds.They also have about 1000 head of deer they would like trimmed down,so keep BH deer season in mind.
Royce
caution: I make bad decisions.

perrysbirds

Postby perrysbirds » April 22nd, 2011, 6:14 am

ORIGINAL: roycefromrc

Perry, Im not 100% on this but, I dont think you mcan get an outfitter for the black hills. Since its all public land.im pretty sure its illegal.You can look up the south dakota GF & P website to get in touch with them. They should have the answers for your questions. If it were pheasants, I could put you in touch with all kinds of outfitters, but the turkey scene is still pretty new to us SD boys.The good thing is its a vast area with all kinds of roads and trasils and tons of birds.Theyve been really henned up so far this season,so you might think about waiting a couple weeks to come out. I do have a line on 2400 acres of private ground i could steer you to if interested.Little pressure and tons of birds.They also have about 1000 head of deer they would like trimmed down,so keep BH deer season in mind.
Royce

I might take you up on your offer next spring.I just a want a merimans to help me work towards my grandslam.I dont mind paying someone for a guided hunt as well.

elevatorguy

Postby elevatorguy » April 25th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Well there are a few guys that guide in the Hills. They operate under a special permit to guide. I met one a few years ago in Hill City while we were out there chasing turkeys. His name was John Geiman and his service is called G-Man Outdoor Adventures. I am not sure what he charges but he really impressed me with his knowledge and willing to even help us, non paying hunters. He offered us some tips and a few places to try and low and behold the 2nd place we tried I shot my 1st turkey after 4 years of trying in the Hills. He really seemed to know what he was doing and was very personable. The Black Hills are definately a challenge to hunt. It took us a few years to figure it out but now I have gotten birds 3 out of the last 4 trips out there. They still seem to humble you but I love hunting out there. And I am itching go as we head out wed morning.

His website is http://gmanoutdooradventure.com/.

I would definately look at him if you are looking to go. As a guide making his living he did not have to help us out at all.

roycefromrc

Postby roycefromrc » April 26th, 2011, 5:09 am

Perry,you might try sdoinsider.com . good SD sight with lists of outfitters in the state.
caution: I make bad decisions.

perrysbirds

Postby perrysbirds » May 9th, 2011, 2:30 pm

Thanks Guys I will look into it!

Perry

Return to South Dakota