2011 Fall Turkey Season

Turkeybuster

Re: 2011 Fall Turkey Season

Postby Turkeybuster » October 25th, 2011, 9:52 pm

mark hay wrote:Here's wishing you Pa. Boys a good season . It's amazing how turkeys seem to be non-existent during early fall .
I understand how the snow can help ,,,,BUT I PERSONALLY HOPE TO NEVER SEE THAT STUFF AGAIN . :D

Hi Mark how have you been making out with the birds or are you still working on the wood shed?
I personally like the snow in turkey season as long as it is only 4" or less , then it can go away for another year.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 27th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Turkeybuster wrote:
hckyplayer8 wrote:Got out today squirrel hunting/scouting.

Found a single feather.

No scratchings or poop.

Acorns are abundant here.

Yep we are hunting the same area , Iknow that flock at funks they are really nice birds. That flock has been there a long time but is not huntable. Where did you find acorns on the mountain or in the bottoms? I still didn't get out yet I
had to get some work done on the Explorer but it is finished up now.

Jon

They are really abundant on the Southern side of the slopes.

Models have come into agreement, heavy rain/snow mix to heavy snow Sat.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 27th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Looks like this will be interesting I am going to the woods tomorrow glad you found the acorns. I have a few spots to check out tomorrow and both of them are on the sunny side of the mt. Dont let anybody tell you you have a lot of time on your hands when you retire I had more time when I was working. Good Luck I will keep you posted.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 28th, 2011, 1:28 am

Winter Storm Watches have been posted for 6-10 inches. Will the birds even come out of the roost in the middle of a major snowstorm?

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 28th, 2011, 9:17 pm

I checked things out today still cant find acorns or scratching I guess we will wait and see what this storm does sounds like it may be a real mess for a few days. Power outages downed trees etc. If it is really bad in the morning I am going to stay on the roost myself and wait it out until Mon. Best of luck if you go out and be careful of trees and limbs coming down.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » October 29th, 2011, 6:40 am

The storm has me shut down, travel advisories all over the state, no fall season here in 5C. I'll be staying on the roost also, hopefully next Saturday will be better. :)

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » October 29th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Well the turkeys definately gave us a snow job today I stayed on the roost hopefully monday will be a better day.
Looks like tomorrow will be a clean up day trying to get rid of this mess. Next week looks good at this point but that can change overnight. It is what it is now its time to hunt turkeys.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » October 29th, 2011, 7:08 pm

I too stayed on the roost, but not because of weather. I woke up with a pretty bad cold.

Ended up with 4" here but just behind me on the ridge tops they were close to 11" by 2pm.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 6th, 2011, 5:32 pm

I hunted four days this week and cant find any feed in the mts. birds arent scratching at this point. There are no grapes or acorns and no agriculture in this area. They have to be somewhere just havent found them yet. I did find a small amount of scratching on Fri. will check that area out again this week.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 11th, 2011, 4:00 pm

Dang birds have disappeared.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania