No gobbling

gooseberry

No gobbling

Postby gooseberry » May 5th, 2010, 2:13 pm

No gobbling in South Central, PA. The birds aren't talking in my woods. Anyone else having that experience.

I'm a new turkey hunter. How should you hunt in that situation?

mikeannikki

RE: No gobbling

Postby mikeannikki » May 5th, 2010, 4:29 pm

About the only thing you can do, sit where you know there are birds and call!  I know it sucks when you feel like there are no birds in your county or zip code but in my limited experience they are there.  You just have to keep at it and it will happen.  Try glassin fields at sunset or first light to get a fix on where they are at or near roost.  The opposite of that is me  I got em gobblin but can't get em to come in for a closer look (HENS!)  That will come to an end at some point though.  Good Luck    Mike

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » May 7th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Up here in NEPA they are still gobbling some but they are henned up for the most part.
Silent birds have become a bit of a "specialty" for me over the last several years. When all
is quiet there is a couple ways I hunt them. First is to set up a blind and a couple decoys and
call periodically. It's important to set up on a known strutt zone or common feeding area where
turkeys want to come to evetually anyway. The second way I will ONLY do on private land! It is
to use a hen call first and then a gobble call. This works well for me to fire up the toms when
they are quiet.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » May 18th, 2010, 3:57 pm

First week of season birds where gobblin good than after the high wind and heavy rain on the 8th and the snow on the following tuesday very little talkin.Hopefully if the temps get right and the wind stops it's been windy here almost every day things will get better  

beagler

Postby beagler » May 20th, 2010, 6:47 am

Birds have been gobbling steady here in my part of the Northeast.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 20th, 2010, 7:26 am

Here in NWPA, I heard one today at 5:20, and he gobbled about 10-12 times until 5:45. I also heard a hen calling off to my left. She was there yesterday, too. What was funny was that every time I called yesterday she answered with the same call I made. If I yelped, she yelped. if I clucked, she clucked. If I made some cutts, she made some cutts. But, she stayed put.

So, I quit calling. She yelped. She waited. She yelped again, less than the last time. She waited, then yelped, again less than last time. She waited again. She gave out two yelps. ("Are you still there?")

She had me thinking she was a hunter because she was pretty much copying me. She was off to my left, probably about 80 yards. Then I found out it wasn't a hunter -- I saw a turkey near where she was, but a little farther up the hill and to my extreme left. I figured it wouldn't see me shift, so I got my gun turned around. But, there were two closer to me, and they saw the gun barrel and both flew, in different directions.

I still saw two on the ground, the one going up hill and another walking downhill. I don't know what happened to them. I waited, and went over there to see if I could call something back. No dice.

I went up to check the field, then back to my original spot. Stayed until 9:30 because I had things to.

The hen was in the same place today, and did less calling. I'm guessing the gobbler went to her. So, I can hunt a little tomorrow, and I'll go in with a buddy and go straight to the place where she was calling from. Maybe that will shut her up and the gobbler will come to us.

I'll be away (on a bear hunt), but I might get back for the last day or two.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 20th, 2010, 9:20 am

Good luck on the bear hunt Steve. Where you going? Rifle or bow?

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 20th, 2010, 11:48 am

Thanks, Randy. New Brunswick. I'll be using a rifle, for a couple of reasons. One is that my brother, who lived in Alaska and passed away two years ago, always wanted to be the one to guide me to a bear. We hunted bears together twice in AK on spot and stalk hunts, but no luck. So, I'm taking his old lever .30-30 that he used to hunt whitetails with when he lived in PA.

I'd consider taking my new bow (actually, a used Mathews Outback), but I just finished getting it set up, and don't feel proficient enough with it yet. Haven't hat time to practice with spring gobbler season.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 23rd, 2010, 5:36 am

Sorry to hear about your brother Steve. Go get a big one for your Bro.

rmh181

Postby rmh181 » May 24th, 2010, 3:39 pm

It's been decent in Centre.

Gobbling was super 1st week, and was going steadily downhill the end of the 2nd week, that Sat was a total bust, not a peep heard between 7 guys at camp and we had 5 gobblers and 5 hens roosted on private ground. I couldn't hunt the 3rd week due to work, but was back out this am trying to fill tag #2. Birds gobbled pretty good this am on public ground, not like 1st week, but good enough. Unfortunately I was initially setup in a consistent roost area that didn't produce today, and ended up on the wrong side of the field at 1st light. All the birds clamped up after fly-down.

I made my way around the other side of the field to where I figured these vocal birds were initially roosted. Got into a bit of calling match w/ 2 hens that were close when 2 gobblers started firing off a ways out. I couldn't move on 'em cuz I was pinned down by the hens and was hopeful a gobbler might be in tow, but it wasn't meant to be. By the time I felt the coast was clear I moved onward and the birds were gone. Probably shoulda stayed put, but if I had a nickel for everytime a bird has pulled that routine on me, I wouldn't have to work anymore.

Next

Return to Pennsylvania