Spring 2011 - Updates on hunting conditions throughout the state

hckyplayer8

Spring 2011 - Updates on hunting conditions throughout the state

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 2nd, 2011, 7:30 am

Day 1
Location-Lebanon County - public

Had two roost gobbles and a flydown but once on the ground the birds shut up completely and never did see anything after that.

Day 2

Early morning had what sounded like a jake going. Would gobble every 15 mins. I looked behind me and there was a hen standing 10 yards away. I spent 10 mins clucking back and forth with her and this got the ole gobbler hot to trot. I mean gobbling non stop for nearly 5 mins. Hen went up the mountainside and for some reason the tom took off down the mountainside. 100 yards....150 yards....gone.

Both places did not have much sign either. Only saw 1 set of tracks during day 1 and day 2 only saw a few feathers but not much else.

Pretty slow for the first couple days if you ask me.

So after day two of regular Spring Gobbler, hows everybody making out? Are you hunting private or public?

Turkeybuster

RE: Spring 2011 - Updates on hunting conditions throughout the state

Postby Turkeybuster » May 2nd, 2011, 2:53 pm

It's been about the same for me the birds are acting strange they just dont show any interest. My opinion is the best is yet to come but for now just hang tough ya never know when ya might strike a hot one.

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 3rd, 2011, 7:24 am

What gives guys? No news from the field? [8|]

Day 3

Bumped a hen while walking. Then hit the locator call and heard yelping back so I sat and called yet another hen in. Going to have to get a camcorder sometime as after more than ten years of experience, I think I'm starting to get pretty good at calling as she passed within the 5 yard mark of me. Beautiful bird and apparently very lonely as even after I shut up she just kept clucking and yelping the whole time.

Then to complete my day I bumped a hen that was on her nest.[:@] Immediately left that area.

Looking on Google Earth, walked approx. 4 miles one way.

Not one gobble.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 3rd, 2011, 9:48 am

On Day 1, I hiked a big area where I thought I could get away from other hunters. I was right. I saw nobody, but didn't hear much either. At around 10:00 (IIRC) I called in two jakes, one of them gobbling.

On Day 2, I heard a gobbler at 5:40, and a shot from that area at 6:06. Around 8:00 or 8:30, four gobblers (I could see the beard on only the first one) looked like they were going to enter the field, but at the last minute swerved and walked adjacent to the field about 50 yards inside the woods.

On Day 3 (today), I sat in the same blind. Until quitting time nothing but rain -- hard rain most of the time. I stuck it out, but never anything larger than a tweety bird -- a few goldfinches few by at one of the times the rain let up slightly. I got wet from the walk in and from the condensation inside the blind.

I had a Pretty Boy deke set up, borrowed from a friend, but even that didn't lure them out of the woods. On my way home I saw a group -- about 8 birds -- out in another field.

Tomorrow's Day 4. The forecast for Thursday looks better.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » May 4th, 2011, 2:17 am

I'm hearing complaints of no gobbling this week. I parked next to a guy with the same concerns, he went in the other direction from me. I heard 7 birds yesterday morning 1 mile from the truck, probably all jakes. They are in isolated packs I believe and mature birds are hened up tight right now. I'm surprised at the number of strutting jakes I'm seeing.

roughrider out

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 4th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Day 4

After putting many miles on the boots and having to write a major paper for school, I decided to let the pouring down rain win.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 5th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Day 5

Location- Lebanon County - Public

Much better hunting conditions today. Was walking a trail when I was met with a series of gobbles 150 yards out. Continued down the trail till I was within the 100 yard mark. Really tough setup as I was bordered by heavy sapling growth on both sides with the area opening up from the location the bird was calling from. While trying to decide what to do the gobbling suddenly got closer. 100 yds....75 yds... I immediately went prone and prepared for the incoming bird. At 50 yards a tom emerged on the trail in full strut. I put the bead on him and looked for any hint of a beard length. I caught a glimpse of what looked like a 7+ in beard just as the bird hoped behind a tree. I proceeded to give a few light clucks in hopes of drawling him back out but was not able to. Once he was making his way down the hollow I tried my best to sweet talk him back but to no avail.

Should have taken the shot but alas, the thrill and challenge of turkey hunting.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 5th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Day 4 -- didn't hear anything, even though I know several gobblers were roosted down the hill from me.

Day 5 -- heard one gobbler, a bird I found yesterday afternoon in a field with some hens. He was a big one. This morning, he gobbled only 4-5 times, well after flydown, but we couldn't do anything with him.

Reports I've had from other hunters are that the birds aren't gobbling much right now. The Everyday Hunter will be in the woods everyday, so that he'll be there when they turn on.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

tex3012

Postby tex3012 » May 9th, 2011, 8:11 am

Saturday, took a first timer to the appalaction trail in windgap. Had a bird gobbling off the roost. well it just started getting light and someone came in to setup on the bird. well he came in too close and spooked off the birds.. on to the next one.. hours of walking, we got onto a hot bird. turns out this bird was henned up and she didnt want anything to do with us.. everytime we cut him off she directed him the other way..we decided to hold tight in an area we came to loaded with turkey sign.. an hour goes by and i still have this bird hot and it sounds like he had left the hens.. hes comming right for us.. a few minutes later someone drives a 4 wheeler up the mountain comming from right below us.. he comes within 60 or so yards, goes up and over the mountain and we never heard that bird again.. and yes this is on state game lands and no he wasnt aloud there.. anyway by buddie had a hell of a time getting this action.. hes been out by himself befor with no excitement.. he said he was losing interest in the sport but now he knows what the sport has to offer..

Monday.. my sister finally wakes on time for the first time this season.. off to a good start.. we get on a hot bird around 730.. well we didnt know someone was already on this bird and bang.. heard a shot.. so on to the next one we go.. around 8 oclock we found a group of toms that were on fire.. it wasnt long befor i called these birds into range for my sisters first of the season..
--------------------
twitter @fishinreport
-------------------

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 9th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Congrats. to both of you Tex your having a good season by the sounds of things.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Next

Return to Pennsylvania