PRESEASON SCOUTING

mark hay

PRESEASON SCOUTING

Postby mark hay » August 30th, 2008, 12:57 pm

Have been road scouting every day since spring season . Last two weekends I actually got out on foot . South central part of the state seems to have a very good survival rate from a good hatch . I have seen several good brood flocks as well as hearing some gobblers tree putting and yelping .  ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

allaboutshooting

RE: PRESEASON SCOUTING

Postby allaboutshooting » August 31st, 2008, 3:47 am

Hey Mark,

I have not been out scouting in my hunting areas yet this year but I am seeing a number of gobblers out in the fields.

On Thursday, Doris and I went for a "paw paw" walk though our woods and found a roost area and a dusting bowl. Those are always good signs.

Our neighbor raises grapes and has a winery. He's been seeing birds every day on his land and sees them go into our woods each evening to roost.

The weather here was very wet in the early spring but at least in our immediate area, was pretty dry during  the hatch.

Hopefully, we'll all have a good fall season.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 20th, 2008, 11:43 am

I was down in the wildlife area this morning for a walk through an area I haven't been in since the last day of spring season. There is so much green leaf litter from last weeks wind storm that I couldn;t find any fresh sign . The ground is like walking on concrete it's so dry.  But I didn't go very far , nor did I get off the trail. I did get in there as it was starting to get light , hoping to hear some birds on the roost or leaving the limb. I ain't discouraged though , this part of the hunting area seems to be used by song dogs on a regular basis as well as some bonehead on a fourwheeler. Southwest and west of this trail are several hundred acres of rough terrain, streams, ponds , and large tracts of mature timber as well as cedar covered slopes. It holds a lot of birds. 'oldschoolturkeytactics' OH! and that bonehead can't get his machine into that prime hunting .

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 23rd, 2008, 2:50 pm

Bad news!!!!  All overtime has come to an end, and after 24 years of 50 hour weeks, now it is 8 hour days. Bad for the paycheck, good for more time to hunt and such .    SO, I went to an 85 acre stand of timber that a friend has near my home. Took me a walk yesterday evening to check out the deer and turkey sign. It's a very handy spot  being only 1 mile from the house. When I'm tired I sometimes go there for fall turkey. They were flying up to roost just before sundown. Believe it was a hen and brood. Judging from the wing beats , there was one with heavy wingbeats and several which were considerably lighter birds. Then they began to change limbs or trees and made quite a bit of racket doing so.   Last week I saw a small flock of last years jakes on the same property.         LOOK'N GOOD ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

247limbhanger

Postby 247limbhanger » April 18th, 2010, 2:11 pm

up here in north east oh i havent seen many jakes at all. think the hatch is down a bit. theres slill a good amount of toms. and the gobblein isnt the best but ok

Return to Ohio