Jakes

RCTaylor

Jakes

Postby RCTaylor » June 9th, 2011, 10:34 am

anybody seeing many jakes this year. I did not see any. every tom i saw was a good tom.

kenturkey89

RE: Jakes

Postby kenturkey89 » June 9th, 2011, 1:10 pm

That's interesting that you mention that because I thought the very same thing this year. Usually I see/call multiple jakes but this year the only jake I saw was one I called in on an afternoon hunt at about 2pm and he didn't stay around long. If I hadn't already killed my first bird I would have taken a crack at him but there was still a lot of season left. Even when I was pre-season scouting I didn't see many jakes, mostly hens and mature gobblers. I'm sure there's still plenty of the little guys left over this year, though, that'll make for some exciting hunts next season!
Brian

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » June 9th, 2011, 5:06 pm

I was surprised to see at least 12 jakes in a group come into a field I was hunting this year.  Spring of '10 I saw a total of 1.   Looking forward to next spring!

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 9th, 2011, 7:41 pm

At one farm I hunt all I saw was about 4 or 5 jakes and at another farm there were 6 or 7 jakes with one big gobbler. At the second farm I found the jakes to be quite entertaining. The gobbler was with a single hen and any time that hen walked close to a jake that gobbler would run over and beat the tar out of the jake. Then later on in the morning the hen decided to go to another field and you had the gobbler hot on her tail following and then you had the jakes in a single row behind the gobbler.
Is it turkey season yet?

RCTaylor

Postby RCTaylor » June 14th, 2011, 1:59 pm

I did see a lot of hens this year too. just worries me about next year by not seeing the jakes this year. on the other hand their will be some old toms.

Return to North Carolina